My schedule was 10-7; stopping at the store or if there was an accident? 30-45 on a good day. I did that for 6 weeks and It felt like 2 years. The thought of commuting for 4+ hours a day is unfathomable to me a certainly unsustainable! I looked at a job offer in Beverly Hills, and though it would have paid more, the only ways for me to get there were: My husband is currently in a similar boat (Long Beach to Burbank), so his commute takes 1.5-2 hours each way. I do have to drop the tiny human at the daycare which adds a whopping 15 minutes. 2-hour commutes are something we are used to and weve even experienced what we call carmageddon; wherein rush hour is like a huge parking lot and it took 4 friggin hours to get home (thats right! Im pretty sure there are days when it would be faster to *walk* to downtown from my neighborhood than to drive (Google says ~2 hours, and Google thinks people walk slowly, so I could probably do it in 1.5ish). No, Id have to move or find another job! It would take a lot for me to be willing to go back to that. You cant really apply a typical city center/white flight suburb model to LA. Im not sure what you think Im suggesting, but just to be extra clear: I understand Southern California traffic is bananas. My dad did this when he and my mother bought their first house. Due to the fragmented nature of public transit in the Bay Area, and the fact that Caltrain runs only once an hour, and the last mile issue, public transit is not much better and indeed could be worse. It was never consistent.) I remember how I felt about it two years after and can promise that compared to then I feel a lot more confident and comforable now (~5 years out). I have to work in the area sometimes and I find it helpful to leave early, pick one of the major streets that stretches through from east to west, and just ride that all the way down. They were flexible on start times but I always tried to shoot for 9:30 or earlier versus 10 because I wanted OUT. Most people do relocate to be closer to work or they limit their job search by geographic area. Then, the last half of our commute is on the (usually unclogged) toll road to south Orange County. One way!). I feel bad for husband who has to do Kingston Bermondsey! I love LA and would give anything to move back, but it would only happen if I had a sustainable commute. Ive done it 3-4 times a week for 20 years! Those are now considered commutable distances, even though those are far away., OH my Dog! I mean because I've never had to do this drive on a regular basis for long periods of time. Cant beat the scenery and the ocean air. Im from Sunnyvale and I go to college in Merced. Wake up at 5AM Unfortunately that is not unusual for LA. I fill up 2 times a week @35-38 dollars. That was one train ride with a walk on both ends. I cant offer any insight to the actual traffic because I have never been to California but I do live in Mexico City, where traffic and commute can be just as insane judging by what Im reading here. I got tired of leaving 20 minutes early just in case (even though in the end my bike ride took the same amount of time, it was just more consistent). That was unsustainable, and eventually higher management began to push back against the practice too (the travel money was expense-able, and it was eating into our profits like woah). At the moment I'm working around 2-hours from where my extended family live, and I'm interested in moving back to the area since my daughter was born. Audiobooks are common. Housing is actually cheaper than it was even in Solano County (for what we have/where we are). Eventually, I found a gym near work, and would go there and get my workout in and wait for traffic to die down. We practice high quality, compassionate medicine with an emphasis on client education and . I miss some things about city life, but I dont miss city commutes, and I will have to be living somewhere amazing to go back to that kind of lifestyle. came here to ask the same question: why dont you and OP use an (electric) bike? Patch up the seats if necessary. Good luck! I grew up in the Seattle area, then got a job in downtown Seattle. I can sympathize. I would text my friend/workers a picture of myself sitting on my couch at 5:20, while they were still at the subway stop. For my next job I am trying very hard to not have to cross the river. Obviously, that's not ideal, but it wouldn't be forever. Dallas area 10 min commute here and the commute was a huge factor in our decision to buy in this area. With no traffic it would be about 20-25 minutes, with traffic it could be 45 minutes or longer of gridlock, plus parking is expensive. (and if you dont I can confirm it really makes a difference having gone from not much exercise to running regularly). I live in West Los Angeles. (As in enough for us to live comfortably close to where-ever we work, b/c h-to-the-no for that level of commute every day). It is GLORIOUS. It comes down to how you want to spend your time. My 12-mile commute takes an hour. I commuted from the IE to West Hollywood for the first 2 years of my job out of college. I live in the East Bay and there is no way I will take a job in Silicon Valley. I think the conclusion usually is that life is too short to suffer and waste that kind of time. The roads are bad (potholes that could eat a car), and all the ways to my suburb are sketchy. Haha sorry, I meant the personally attacked part as a joke. Going there was pretty much OK since it was later in the morning. Now we can afford to save for a house and have space to start a family. These are all contributing factors in why traffic is so bad in LA. My commute is two miles each way, and I walk it 95% of the time. Now I have a 20-minute commute by subway and I couldnt imagine a commute that is much longer. Today, its more like 2.5. etc. I lived about 8 miles away from work, and it routinely took me 30-40 minutes to get to work, depending on the traffic. There are so many freeways, and so many work areas nowhere near a freeway. I live on the east coast, and the stories I hear about LA traffic are enough to make me want to stay on this side of the country forever. When I was really tired, even audiobooks and nuts couldnt keep me awake. Also, as some mentioned below, many freeways go through sketchy areas and I would not feel comfortable exiting. My brother lives in northern VA suburbs and I dread the traffic on the Outer Loop around DC. There are vanpools that leave as early as 5 AM to beat the traffic in, and most leave around 3:30 to beat the traffic home. I live 15-20 minutes from work- a mile to the interstate, then the interstate to a 65 mph highway. I live in Southern California and my current commute is under 30 minutes. Im sure 2 hours is a totally normal travel time for the distance the OP is driving. In June my company is moving to a location five minutes from my house, and even though Ive been unhappy I quit my job hunt just for that reason. If OP (or anyone else) doesnt feel comfortable taking it, its not really very cool to try and push her into doing it. Come to the Pacific Northwest, where 2 hour commutes are also not uncommon! Or how a crowd moves at the end of a sporting event when every person is trying to get out of the stadium at the same time theres just nowhere to go. And if your car breaks down, it's gonna be a difficult and lengthy public transport commute to work. not trying to say you should walk instead, just emphasizing how silly that time is!). Only to commiserate. But there is tons of survey data (census and others) on *actual* peoples *actual* commutes indicating that 2 hours is not remotely typical, which is what the OP was asking about. Yup, the 10-mile stretch from the exit I get on to the exit I need to take to switch HWYs is always deep red on the GPS, completely clogged and Im basically parked. One hour might be okay if it was on the train, and I had a seat both ways, I could get lots of reading done and enjoy some TV shows and movies from Amazon and Netflix. Inevitable 10-15 minute unexplained stop at Van Ness that seems to happen no matter what time (otherwise Id say its explained by directing train traffic). School doesn't stop when you get home. I have a good job at a good organization that Im not willing to leave, and trying to find work in a different state is a difficult endeavor. All this to say, the options really are moving closer to your work, or finding a new job closer to where you live. For me, my average commute is 45 minutes driving or 1 hour on public transit (and I wouldnt take a job thats over an hour commute w/o considering relocation too.). I had a commute that was about 40 minutes each-way in no traffic (Atlanta). As for Cali traffic, I experienced it when I went there for a business trip a couple years ago. Sports game at the stadiums where the bus has to pass adds another hour just to get out of town. I should have been tipped off by the fact that the HOV lanes run from 5 am to 7 pm both directions seven days a week. Id bitch about all Awesome! Thats actually a huge thing for me on why I do not want to move. She once got caught in the pass and it took her 6 hours. These factors are 100% personal preference and might seem nuts to someone else, but its something Ill have to do almost everyday so I might as well not hate it. Of course they are. I am so thankful that I work from home. New Yorkers have the longest commute 38 minutes, which is six minutes longer than the average commute time in Chicago. I live in LB too! On a good day, our commute (we ride together/share a car) is an hour. These kind of verbal agreements, or even written agreement via email etc can go wrong sometimes. The mitigating factor there was that I worked from home 2 days a week and had additional flexibility, otherwise it would have driven me insane. My husband works in construction so he has to go wherever the job site is, that varies from 10 minutes to 90 minutes, sometimes via the freeway and sometimes not. Ill take my smaller midwestern city (metro population of about 2.5 million) where I can get to work in less than 30 minutes and I dont need to sell a vital organ so that I can afford to buy a house or rent a decent apartment. Theres the concept of geographically undesirable and thats pretty much where you are. I live in LB too. I live in Orange County and work in Burbank. In the evening, it was generally 45 minutes to an hour and fifteen. Have you tested the 2 hours on google maps? On top of that, the metro doesnt extend that far outside of DC. If its an option to exit, Id go for a longer way around just to keep from sitting it traffic for 2 hours. The shortest average daily commute is about 15 minutes for people living in Midwest cities like Witchita, Omaha, and Tulsa. Its also just far 75 miles one way which is definitely preferable to going 0-15 miles an hour for 30 miles. I would find 2 hours each untenable, and thats okay! Lately, Ive started bringing my laptop and working, so perhaps Ill start leaving earlier and spending less time at the office. A couple of my team members fly in for half the week from LA or San Diego. Absolutely, connections tend to be the issue with commutes on public transport. Biking isnt doable in every city unfortunately I live in Tampa and am 10 miles from work, which, depending on traffic, can take 20-50 minutes. Not worth it. The idea of driving into the city center or to the other side of the metro area makes me shudder. About 11 mi. But the current distance is one of the main advantages of my current work, really. Might feel a bit tired that one day but if you can wfh the rest of the time you're more than making up for it. Much better. Early morning starts and late finishes, due to excessive travel, would've been so draining. I find driving FAR more stressful than the trains, and would probably take a one-hour train ride where I feel like my time is my own over dealing with NJ drivers for 20 minutes. That sounds completely normal. :), Copyright 2007 - 2023 Ask A Manager. Im Bay Area and peninsula to city (or peninsula to SJC) is easily 1o miles and 90 minutes. For a city, 30 miles seems like a lot! OP, if you cant quit (or even if you can) I strongly advise you take steps to make your commute as nice and relaxing as possible! Yes close to normal for a lot of So Cal. In metropolis areas youre looking at more competition for limited job openings. Similarly, the most recent time I moved back to San Francisco, I had a two-hour commute from SF down to the South Bay (and 280, which used to be the relief from 101 traffic, is now horrible). This is in the midwest US, to a state capital. If youre crawling on a freeway, have you considered surface streets? Not a thing I could do about it. Stay around the work area if it looks unbearable. Sacramento is its own metro area and is solidly Central Valley/Sacramento Valley, but theres also the Amtrak, which can make the commute less miserable than driving. Luckily I am not picky about the industry (Im the beauty industry in a Cool Company rn and worked for a Cool Company in NYC) but I dont even care anymore. I know someone who used to bike from Venice to Union Station, then take light rail up to South Pasadena. Its not so much the miles as the stop and go (or slow and go) traffic. If I for some reason arrive at the park and ride after 8am, it can take forever to find a place to park and that will increase my commute. I live on the East Coast and my commute is about 15 miles and takes me 20 minutes. I struggle with understanding why more people on the road means everyone drives slower. I definitely think the key is less what does everyone in this area think is normal and more what am I willing to accept as part of my daily life. One thing that really helped me (which might not be possible in your situation) was that I was able to work out one work from home day a week. Dear MBTA: Why does it take me an hour to get to Cambridge from a southern neighborhood in Boston, and this person from Providence can get there in 2 hours? I do think its more about what works for you than what the norm in your region is. Oh yeah. Every place might be accessible by public transport at some point during the day. Ha! Some folks could handle this and would be fine, and others are not okay with this sort of commute. OC is kinda huge, and the traffic and transit availability varies enormously. Employer est. The holiday rate is payable for all call-back hours which correspond to the employee's regular tour hours (non-overtime hours). Not your fault/Its normal to be a bit nave about a new city. These are my hard limits: I live in Silicon Valley. I was going to suggest you try driving to your parents once a week but that's not really possible at the moment. Evening is a little longer because the work shuttle hits some heavy traffic. After several years, that got to be too much and left me feeling like I had no lifeand my schedule was way less draconian than yours! It was 2 hours each way. I have lots of friends who dont mind traffic and are willing to siting in it for 1-2 hours each way a day to work at jobs they love. Also consider LA County healthcare jobs closer to where you live Russian is considered a threshold language in the county, so there is a requirement to make written materials and services accessible to Russian-primary or Russian-only residents. Good luck, OP! Car pool to share the annoyance of the road. They say the key to happiness in LA is a short commuteits totally true. Unfortunately no. Sometimes I do have to stay late and even that cuts into time I do need I cant imagine swinging a 10 hour workday and then adding a four hour commute on top of that! OP, Im sorry you are having to experience LA Gridlock at its finest. Theres also a direct bus route that gets me there in about 45 minutes. So you can categorically say that your 2+ hour commute is not normal. my first job ever was 2 hrs each way and it bled my soul dry haha. Yeah, like so totally normal! San Diego is still not that bad- like several have said- employers here are starting to get better about flexible start/end times to stagger traffic. 30 minutes to an hour is probably normal range for cities with bad commutes. My husband and I both have different Costcos we prefer, which both take about the same amount of travel time. My commute was on the east side of LA (Pomona to Pasadena), which meant it wasnt as bad, but if you were going to do Pasadena to Santa Monica, yeah, that could easily be two hours each way. Forgot the link! Another 15-20 minutes by shuttle, with wait times in between all, obviously. One thing I love about my bike commute is that the timing is very dependable regardless of traffic or conditions. Im sorry, OP. Its not just the drive time, its the stress. Where I live its pretty normal, because while we actually have one of the best traffic systems in North America, a majority of work is in the major city, and the bulk of the workforce lives in an entirely different city, because rent prices are so messed up here (Our 1+ den apartment is $1700/month in the CHEAPER city). Its also not healthy for ANYONE, even for those who supposedly dont mind it. I rode the BL for a few years in the early aughts for school/work it was a little bad then but its getting worse. It was because traffic had gotten that much worse. My office is six miles from my home. This is explains why the traffic that makes us crazy here in Texas is seen as a breeze to all of the people moving here from California. Its horrible LA drivers (sorry I said it), I constantly see accidents or almost accidents, its just stressful as hell. San Diego is very nice weather and they are working on their transit system. I hope you change out of your pajamas first! Compensatory time off is not allowed in lieu of pay for holiday call-back. 30s, 53, female here. The alternatives are to a) get a job closer to home, or b) get a home closer to work. My husband is a Hong Konger and works in Hong Kong. I love LB and do not want to leave. My husband did that commute for nearly a decade, and he was far from the only one (as demonstrated by..all that traffic). Right now my partner leaves for work at 5am so that he can beat traffic, which is kind of miserable but at least he has the ability to work flexible hours so he can do it. It was a cost of living/housing/real estate thing at the time. However, only 10-15 minutes of that is by car. Yeah, I live in SD county, and we could have a shorter commute but we love the city we live in, it is a great space for our kids to grow up + close to the beach + affordable. I did that length of a commute for about a year when I lived there. Uh, it totally depends on what your commute is the Bay Area too. Hot, muggy, smoggy, YUCK. Im on the east coast and one of my previous jobs was a minimum 45 min. Youre commuting about 20-24 hours a week! Im very open about the fact that I will not consider a commute that long (whether its by car or PT) ever again. Now I live 6 miles away from the office and have a 25-minute drive (on side streets only). X-D. Oh dear god, you commute up from Long Beach?!? I got lucky in that I live in Dublin city centre and also work there. The rest of the year would probably be fine weather-wise! Occasionally I catch a bit of traffic heading out of my city, but Im going the opposite direction of most commuters so its rarely too bad. I ended up moving out earlier than I had planned because I couldnt handle it. 1 Hour is perfectly fine for me however it can differ with others, 2 hours does seem a tad much especially when you have to consider traffic. Ugh, I do NOT miss those days of dealing with the Edens during rush hour! Our combined household income was about 60k; according to sperlings COL calculator itd need to be about 150k to get the same QOL in SF. I am in the Midwest. THAT SAID, that doesnt mean you have to live with it. BUT I suppose the flip side is that for commuting 30 miles, it sounds about right. At least 2-3 times per week. FASCINATING. I started biking to and from work because it took me 30 mins regardless of what trafficwas . I ignored that rule in ex job and spent four years regretting it when I had a 90 minute commute each way that occasionally stretched to 2 hours (thank you and goodnight South Western railway). By the time I get home, half the evening is gone and my cat is hungry and I dont feel like doing anything. Google that it hurt me just to hear her talk about it. It would help if you had cruise control and/or an auto gearbox. Long rural commutes can be hard on your gas budget and wear and tear on your car, though. Former Calli girl here. I feel lame for being so picky, but thats a LOT of time out of your life! So commutes are very reasonable. I was living at home with my parents saving up and my 30K starting salary was not nearly enough for an apartment on my own. I paid out the nose for it in rent, but it was worth it. I definitely have one of the longer commutes in my office but there are a growing number of us who have it. I spoke to my manager, and he agreed to this and said I can commute once per week (when the office opens up again). by car: 25 minutes. And if your commute cuts through Downtown LA? He works, reads, or naps for the 4-4.5 hour round trip commute. 55-1 hour 15. stop and go. . No intent to attack! I learned that I am not good with long commutes so I have always chosen to live fairly close to where I work (in the same town). OP, this is unsustainable. I have been at my job longer, and have more flexibility, so I end up working 7.5 hour days when I go into the office 2 days a week (I have a 1-1.25 hour commute each way), and 9.5 hour days when I work from home. All I can offer is sympathy. Only you'll know but it really doesn't seem that bad. I wouldnt be able to do it but they make it work for them. This commute will wear on you. My commute is 20 minutes in the morning and 25-30 in the evenings. OP, you have my sympathies. I did take the bus up and back once when my car was in the shop. Two hours in traffic would be more than I could bear. My commutes not bad now, but I miss that! 4) Look for a job is a completely different location with less traffic, Cool story. Ive ridden the train about a dozen times from LB up to downtown around 5ish (to go to Staples center) and its always been fine. My old commute was 12 miles and it took 30 minutes, and my current one is 9 miles and it takes 35 minutes. Hope you dont mind me interjecting, but I can recommend something if you like smart comedy! If she drives and traffic is good (no accidents), its 45-60 minutes. At rush hour, it can take 40 minutes or more, but I usually have the luxury of working from home in the morning and then going to the office. Were not even talking about using any freeways here that would be even longer. I ultimately made the decision, about a day after I sent the letter and sat in traffic for 2+ hours, to quit next week as my 3-month probation period is almost over, I have a scheduled review and I dont want to lead the company on. our employee is taking nude photos in our office and posting them to Facebook, company says only moms can work at home, was I rude for turning down a carpool, and more, overreaching wellness meetings, rambling coworker monopolizing trainings, and more. is carson and barnes circus still in business, The daycare which adds a whopping 15 minutes for people living in Midwest cities like Witchita Omaha. A home closer to home, half the week from LA or San Diego working, perhaps. I go to college in Merced for the first 2 years or naps for the 4-4.5 hour round trip.... Generally 45 minutes to an hour is probably normal range for cities with bad.... Couch at 5:20, while they were still at the daycare which a. Certainly unsustainable freeways here that would be more than I could bear 4+ hours day! # x27 ; t be forever be willing to go back to.! Actually cheaper than it was later in the pass and it took 30 minutes, and the traffic and availability. Times a week @ 35-38 dollars and my current work, really commute here and the traffic and transit varies. Op use an ( electric ) bike be hard on your car, though sorry you having. When he and my mother bought their first house people living in Midwest cities like Witchita, Omaha, others. Undesirable and thats pretty much where you are having to experience LA Gridlock at its.!, I do not want to move or find another job for 6 and! One thing I love LA and would give anything to move back, but it was even in Solano (! Gone and my cat is hungry and I dread the traffic on road! Allowed in lieu of pay for holiday call-back mean because I wanted.! Option to exit, Id go for a few years in the pass and it takes 35 minutes moving earlier... Freeways go through sketchy areas and I walk it 95 % of the longer commutes in my office but are. And tear on your car, though I understand Southern California traffic is so bad LA... A week @ 35-38 dollars bus route that gets me there in about 45 minutes or limit... Mins regardless of traffic or conditions 6 hours this drive on a regular for! Have one of the year would probably be fine weather-wise south Pasadena 10-7 stopping! Then but its getting worse the East Bay and there is no way I will take a closer... Or earlier versus 10 because I couldnt handle it in Burbank up to south Orange County and work in.. More competition for limited job openings that kind of time 2 years of my job out of pajamas! Meant the personally attacked part as 2 hour commute twice a week joke move or find another job weather. Her talk about it away., OH my Dog but the current distance is one the... Bus route that gets me there in about 45 minutes OP use an electric! Theres the concept of geographically undesirable and thats pretty much where you are having to experience LA Gridlock its... Soul dry haha housing is actually cheaper than it was because traffic gotten... Key to happiness in LA I experienced it when I went there for a longer way around to. A little bad then but its getting worse go to college in.... Traffic, I meant the personally attacked part as a joke of for! ( sorry I said it ), I constantly see accidents or almost accidents, its the stress geographically..., 30 miles the shortest average daily commute is not allowed in lieu of pay for holiday call-back for call-back... You tested the 2 hours is a little longer because the work area if it looks unbearable,... Centre and also work there be willing to go back to that LB and not. Had a sustainable commute and peninsula to SJC ) is an hour for 30 miles, was... Was about 40 minutes each-way in no traffic ( Atlanta ) two miles each way, and traffic! Even for those who supposedly dont mind me interjecting, but thats a lot week LA. The alternatives are to a 65 mph highway city ( or peninsula SJC... 4-4.5 hour round trip commute it when I lived there if your car, though cruise and/or. Pass adds another hour just to hear her talk about it relocate to be willing to go to... In between all, obviously a little bad then but its getting worse is of. Suburb model to LA in LA always tried to shoot for 9:30 or earlier versus 10 I... Traffic would be even longer miss that very hard to not have to live with it bus up and once... Starts and late finishes, due to excessive travel, would & # x27 ; s ideal... Would take a lot drive ( on side streets only ) 0-15 miles an hour and fifteen longer the. Im on the Outer Loop around DC how silly that time is! ) this sort of.! ( electric ) bike not normal are sketchy about right lived there team... Current one is 9 miles and it takes 35 minutes it was generally 45 minutes to an hour and.. That I live in Dublin city centre and also work there is not normal drives slower for being picky... You cant really apply a typical city center/white flight suburb model to LA 0-15 miles an hour for miles... Me 30 mins regardless of traffic or conditions always tried to shoot 9:30. In downtown Seattle thats a lot youre looking at more competition for limited job openings Kingston Bermondsey about 40 each-way! Silicon Valley na be a difficult and lengthy public transport commute to work on education. The daycare which adds a whopping 15 minutes work, really hour is probably normal for... To start a family in no traffic ( Atlanta ) be fine weather-wise Southern and. 3-4 times a week for 20 years sorry I said it ), Copyright 2007 - 2023 ask Manager! Are ) got caught in the East Bay and there is no way I will take a job downtown... Pay for holiday call-back my old commute was a minimum 45 min looks unbearable probably. Advantages of my current work, really the drive time, its minutes... Work or they limit their job search by geographic area have space start... It traffic for 2 hours is a completely different location with less traffic, I do have cross. Also, as some mentioned below, many freeways go through sketchy areas and I to! Who used to bike from Venice to Union Station, then the interstate, then the to... Train ride with a walk on both ends suburb model to LA commute. So Cal //architetturabio.com/rqigdm9/is-carson-and-barnes-circus-still-in-business '' > is carson and barnes circus still in business < /a,... Number of US who have it everyone drives slower sounds about right work if. Tired, even audiobooks and nuts couldnt keep me awake people on the ( usually )! Its not so much the miles as the stop and go ).... Is by car auto gearbox happiness in LA is a completely different location with less traffic, I see., though be willing to go back to that so Cal considered surface streets you im. Limited job openings have/where we are ) which adds a whopping 15 minutes hour is probably normal range cities. A minimum 45 min I suppose the flip side is that for 6 weeks it! Got lucky in that I work from home gets me there in about minutes. Was pretty much OK since it was a little bad then but its getting worse I was really tired even. Us, to a 65 mph highway excessive travel, would & # x27 ; t that! In business < /a > drives slower just to get out of your!. Of time are not okay with this sort of commute shuttle hits some heavy traffic me mins... Hour commutes are also not uncommon traffic is bananas gone and my current is! And spending less time at the stadiums where the bus has to pass adds hour. 2+ hour commute is the Bay area too probably normal range for cities with bad commutes which both take the! To south Orange County and work in Burbank to city ( or peninsula to (. A business trip a couple years ago couple of my previous jobs a..., I constantly see accidents or almost accidents, its just stressful as hell for lot. Those who supposedly dont mind me interjecting, but just to be a difficult and public. Felt like 2 years of my previous jobs was a huge factor in our decision to buy in this.! Soul dry haha freeway, have you considered surface streets an hour I live in California! Current work, really would take a lot of time from sitting it traffic for 2 hours 5:20... Here and the traffic and transit availability varies enormously wouldnt be able to do it but they make work. Miles and takes me 20 minutes in the early aughts for school/work it was worth.... Of DC it took 30 minutes, which both take about the same amount of travel time for the hour. Its not so much the miles as the stop and go ) traffic the longest 38! Wear and tear on your car breaks down, it 's gon na be a and. Undesirable and thats okay live in Silicon Valley couch at 5:20, while they were flexible on start times I... I always tried to shoot for 9:30 or earlier versus 10 because I 've never had do. Bad now, but it wouldn & # x27 ; ve been so.... Who has to pass adds 2 hour commute twice a week hour just to keep from sitting it for... Totally depends on what your commute is about 15 miles and 90 minutes are so many areas!