American Revolution frontier general and explorer, secured the Northwest Territory for the U.S., founder of Louisville, 1778. Trent, Thomas Tribble, Robert Tyler, Abraham Vanmetre, Michael Valleto, Joseph Warford, James Welch, Abram Whitaker, Aquilla Whitaker, Jacob Wickersham, Ed. The rich lands of Kentucky were the prize of the first occupants, and thousands rushed to seize them. These men are to make part of a battalion which will be commanded by Lieut. In this extremity George McAfee and Samuel Adams threw themselves upon the ground, declaring their inability for any further exertion. Included is the description of the entry (Will, Inventory, List of Sales, Administrative Settlement, Allot Dower, Executors Settlement, Division of Estate, Guardian Settlement, Appraisement, List of Slaves, Agreement, etc. Includes name of groom, name of bride and date. Thank you for purchasing this book. Early Kentucky settlers, 1700s-1800s. Although the southeastern part of Kentucky saw the earliest exploration in the years before and immediately after statehood, most early Kentucky pioneers moved into the rich Bluegrass Region of the state to find better farm lands. Available for both RF and RM licensing. It is always interesting to research in a new county, since there are always new names to discover. The second westward push was over the Appalachian Mountains. St. Charles Catholic Church is located in rural Marion County, Kentucky. This part is rather small. Our strength is 23 men to wit: (Here follow the names). There will also be a volume that includes AZ. After this heartrending event, the families, seven in number, abandoned the farms they had been cultivating and took refuge in the station.. His companion escaped and gave the alarm, but pursuit was made in vain. There are 1,226 names listed. A letter from Col. John Bowman, dated Kentucky County, May 26, 1780, recites that the bearer, John McCullough, is sent express to the Governor (of Virginia) upon business of the utmost consequence to the State. kept by the clerk for the Virginia land commissioners who heard proof of claims for settlement and preemption rights by early settlers in Kentucky. A copy of Col. John Bowmans account against the Commonwealth of Virginia, shows that his pay was 22 pounds, 10 shillings per month, and $50 additional per month for subsistence. ), the will book and the page number. The Indians were prowling about in every direction, killing and scalping every white that was found outside of the station, stealing horses, and attacking the weaker stations and settlements. By their presence, those early settlers saved the west for the United States. Genealogical . A noticeable feature of the earliest settlements was the great disparity in the number of the sexes. 1911-1999 Kentucky Births MyHeritage. ), the will book and the page number. Included on this CD are 856 names, 740 photos. Indian agent, trapper, scout. Henderson & Company at once opened a land . Victorian Vault In the . document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. They fortified their settlement and called it McAfees Station. Last names beginning with G and H are included. In 1788, however, a road was cut directly east from the settlement at Knoxville to the settlement on the Cumberland River. Included is the description of the entry (Will, Inventory, List of Sales, Administrative Settlement, Allot Dower, Executors Settlement, Division of Estate, Guardian Settlement, Appraisement, List of Slaves, Agreement, etc. Last names beginning with E and F are included. Hi Dianna Rose, I think or I tried to respond before to your reply. First 19th century guide and early explorer of Mammoth Cave. There will be a volume that includes AZ. You can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name. In the early 1800s, Kentucky lawyer, William Littell (1768-1824), published five volumes called Littell's Statute Law of Kentucky These books provided a digest of the laws and statues of Kentucky from 1799 to 1822, which included notes and commentaries on decisions made by the Court of Appeals. The amount of photos became overwhelming! Be the first one to, KentuckyPioneersEarlySettlersOfKentucky1790, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). I heard stories from a Kentuckian co-worker of mine years ago. This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Washington County Will Book Index, Books A-W for the years 1792-1902. He passed up Limestone Creek to its source; then crossing the dividing ridge he struck the North Fork of the Licking, proceeded down it some twenty-five miles and then struck across to the Ohio, which he reached in the present county of Bracken. The McAfee brothers are well-known in Mercer County history, and to this day many of their descendants still live where their forefathers brought their families to make a new life. 1775 Early settlers into Kentucky arrived from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. Thank you for purchasing my book! The McAFee station survived and today the small area is still known as McAfee. You can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name. For many years the route into Middle Tennessee was through the Wilderness Road and down the Cumberland Trace to the settlement on the Cumberland at French Lick. There is an alphabetical listing of those baptized at St. Charles, including names of parents, most with birth dates and sponsors. . 1911-1999 Kentucky Birth Index Ancestry. By their presence, those early settlers saved the west for the United States. Captain Benjamin Logan, Lieutenant John Logan, Ensign Alexander Montgomery, Ensign Azariah Davis, Sergeant Benjamin Pelton, Sergeant William Menifee, Sergeant Roswell Stevens, Sergeant George Clark, Robert Barnett, William Barton, Samuel Bell, Arthur Blackburn, Alexander Bohannon, John Bohannon, Benjamin Briggs, Samuel Briggs, James Brown, John Canterbury, Caspar Casener, William Casey, John Castlio, Pierce Castlio, Philip Conrad, Azariah Davis, Samuel Deason, Ogden Devers, Benjamin Drake, Isaac Drake, John Drake, Jonathan Drake, John Ealor, Charles English, Stevens English, John Fain, Bartholomew Fenton, George Flinn, Lee Garrett, John Gibson, Richard Glover, John Grimes, William Grimes, Jacob Gunn, David Hawkins, Jacob Herman, Roger Hines, Stephen Huston, John Johns, James Johnson, John Jones, John Kennedy, James Knox, Hugh Leeper, James Leeper, William Logan, Thomas Loveledd, Joseph Lusk, John McCormick, John McElhon, James McElwain, John McKaine, Archibald Mahone, James Menifee, Jarrett Menifee, Joseph Menifee, John Martin, Joseph Martin, Samuel Martin, James Mason, James Mason, Samuel Mayes, Andrew Miller, Henry Miller, William Miller, David Mitchell, William Mitchell, Alexander Montgomery, John Montgomery, William Montgomery, William Neal, William Patton, Samuel Phelps, William Phelps, Charles Phillips, John Phillips, Nicholas Proctor Sr., Nicholas Proctor Jr., Charles Runsie, James Russell, Julius Sanders, Alexander Sinclair, George Scott, John Story, John Summers, Archibald Thomason, Nicholas Tramel, Philip Tramel, George White, William Whitley (99). The first half of the 19th century was one of the most eventful in the state's history. The Great Road rose on the Potomac River at Waskin's Ferry, went southwest down the Shenandoah Valley between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains to Winchester, Virginia, through Strasburg, Staunton, Lexington and over Natural Bridge and across the headwaters of the James River to Salem, through Wytheville, Abingdon and to Bristol on the Virginia-Tennessee Border. This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Washington County Will Book Index, Books A-W for the years 1792-1902. This my second set of will book indexes, this time for Clark County, Kentucky. Uncharted waters, attacks, drownings, and other misfortunes made a water passage a risky undertaking. If you need a huge amount you may wish to purchase the CD that is available through my website www.kentuckykindredgenealogy.com This has been a five year project, beginning in the fall of 2009 and ending May 31, 2014. There are 1,179 names listed. This road connected with a road from Philadelphia and provided the immigrants with a direct route to western Pennsylvania. Historical Marker #1700 in Letcher County notes where one of the region's first pioneers, Archelous Craft, initially settled. and west north west from it; first cabin built in 1774, and more settlers came in 1775. In this way he first became acquainted with the western country . Kentucky (US: / k n t k i / kn-TUK-ee, UK: / k n-/ ken-), officially the Commonwealth of Kentucky, is a state in the Southeastern region of the United States and one of the states of the Upper South.It borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio to the north, West Virginia to the northeast, Virginia to the east, Tennessee to the south, and Missouri to the west. St. Charles Catholic Church is located in Marion County, Kentucky, near the small town of St. Mary. This great road was the main entry into Kentucky from 1775 to 1800 when the population grew from a few hardy pioneers to 220,955. The Early Settlers of Boonesborough. This project is dear to me because my fifth great-grandfather, Captain John Linton, helped build this church. Many of my Linton, Moran and Edwards family members are buried here. Christopher Houston "Kit" Carson (December 24, 1809-1868) The first entry was made at St. Asaphs on 13 October 1779; the last entry was made on 26 April 1780. . Your email address will not be published. 1730. 1774: Harrodsburg was established as the first permanent settlement in Kentucky. Access Kentucky culture, timeline, facts, and famous people. Thank you for purchasing my book! You can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name. This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Washington County Will Book Index, Books A-W for the years 1792-1902. This my second set of will book indexes, this time for Clark County, Kentucky. Others, after portage around the Falls, floated on to Shawneetown, Illinois, before landing and continuing into Kentucky. Last names beginning with S and T are included. Edna Milliken (1921-2005) made history as the first female president of the Kentucky Historical Society in November 1963. In combination, the narrative and genealogical resources collected here will help you put the lives of your early Kentucky ancestors in historical context. But, traveling the river in the earliest times required braving the wrath of Indians and the treachery of uncharted waters. Most of my research, for my family, has been in Washington, Marion, Garrard and Nelson counties. Ive just recently put the list together. Create an account. If you would like a photo of a gravestone, or several, email me at phyrit@roadrunner.com. Some of the names on the original rolls were very inaccurately spelled, the rolls being kept by illiterate men, who too often spelled by the sound, names not always correctly pronounced. Good luck with your research! Thank you for purchasing my book! ), the will book and the page number. Included are 1,262 names on the list. On the 15th they crossed the Kentucky, below where Frankfort now stands, and where Robert McAfee had two surveys made. Most records list the parents of the child and the date of birth. Other volumes will follow shortly. The majority of those early pioneers came primarily from Virginia . ), the will book and the page number. In a more modern happenstance, my husbands father was minister of this church in the early 1960s. You can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name. It is always interesting to research in a new county, since there are always new names to discover. One of four U.S. states constituted as a commonwealth, Kentucky was originally a part of the state of Virginia.Once a noted hunting ground of the American Indians, it was continuously inhabited as early as 1,000 B.C. Map of the Fort Blount Road, With Narrative and With Photos. Lightboxes. As land sales were opened in the Old Northwest, funds were appropriated for the building of a National Road. They could not be included in this book since it would never load to a Kindle! Included on this CD are 856 names, 740 photos. Slaughter. Not all gravestones have photos since some can no longer be found. June 10, 1779, in Madison County, at and near Boonesborough. And so there are many recipes made for and with my children. ), the will book and the page number. Included is the description of the entry (Will, Inventory, List of Sales, Administrative Settlement, Allot Dower, Executors Settlement, Division of Estate, Guardian Settlement, Appraisement, List of Slaves, Agreement, etc. I am reaching out to a few people who have posted recently: This is quite random, but have you ever heard stories or legends of small, hairy creatures (humanoid in form) called Littleuns? In History of Kentucky by Judge Lewis Collins, and his son Richard H. Collins, is a section on names of soldiers of Kentucky County, Virginia. Born in Wales 8-9-1735 and death 9-1-1825. "History of Kentucky" by Collins. Included is the description of the entry (Will, Inventory, List of Sales, Administrative Settlement, Allot Dower, Executors Settlement, Division of Estate, Guardian Settlement, Appraisement, List of Slaves, Agreement, etc. James Harrod* (1742-1793) 58, no. Bowman from Governor Thomas Jefferson: I am to ask the favor of you to give notice to the officer recommended by you for the Western Battalions that as soon as one half of his quota of men is raised and delivered by you, he shall be entitled to his commission. John Holder's Company at Boonesborough, June 10, 1779. There is a path up the hill from the new cemetery to the old cemetery, at the top of which is a monument in concrete which includes pieces of broken stones. Pioneer Soldiers in Kentucky 1778-1781. This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Clark County Will Books Index, Books 1-13 for the years 1793-1853. Not found in my usual counties were the surnames Bledsoe, Brinegar, Chorn, Clinkenbeard, Conkwright, Crosthwait, Fishback and Gaitskill. She worked at the Kentucky State Library and Archives. Mary Draper Ingles. Individual volumes are for those who have only one or two families in Washington County, Kentucky. Daniel Boone . There are 1,599 names listed. Before 1750, Kentucky was populated nearly exclusively by Cherokee, Chickasaw, Shawnee and several other tribes of Native Americans See also Pre-Columbian; April 13, 1750 While leading an expedition for the Loyal Land Company in what is now southeastern Kentucky, Dr. Thomas Walker was the first recorded American of European descent to discover and use coal in Kentucky; I have found a couple of family references of value, but I just like to browse and read for fun. It became a noted pioneer station, and in time received due attention from the savages in the way of attacks and petty annoyances. Good luck with your research! York* (1770-Before 1832) If you have quite a few ancestors buried here you may wish to purchase the CD of this cemetery that includes photos of all the stones. There are 762 names listed. Born in Logan County, died at The Battle of the Alamo, San Antonio, Texas. ), the will book and the page number. Kentucky Pioneers. John Filson, The Discovery, Settlement, and Present State of Kentucky, 1793. Search our 30,000+ Genealogy books, CDs, and maps. Early Kentucky Settlers, 1700s-1800s. There are 670 names listed. Two other volumes will follow, HO and PZ. Thank you for purchasing this book. This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Clark County Will Books Index, Books 1-13 for the years 1793-1853. Lincoln County was home to some of the state's most influential early settlers and leaders. If any of you have NAMES you want added here please send them to Suzanne . They could not be included in this book since it would never load to a Kindle! Contents1 What is the oldest settlement in Kentucky?2 Why did the pioneers first settle Kentucky?3 Who was the first person [] Stock photos, 360 images, vectors and videos. She traveled throughout Kentucky giving lectures about the migration path of settlers through Cumberland Gap. An early chronicler, writing from the notes of McAfee, says: The 12th of August was a gloomy day to this little band. Includes name of groom, name of bride and date. Not everyone buried in the cemetery is on the list - many of those buried after 1950 have not been included, although many are. Upon the wide, wide sea.. In that way I suppose it is partially a genealogy cookbook! Simon Kenton* (April 3, 1755-1836) Kentucky AHGP free site for sharing of data including the stations and early settlements of Kentucky Welcome . Not all gravestones have photos since some can no longer be found. You can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name. Other volumes will follow shortly. When the French and Indian War (Seven Years War) ended, the Ohio River was designated as the boundary between settlers and native . This post is based on the notes from a lecture Edna Milliken presented to the Kentucky Genealogical Society in 1974 Seminar. There are 5,981 marriages listed. While little is known of the circumstances which brought him here or even the names of his wife or parents, Samuel Gordon is the first of our Gordon ancestors that we know to have come from Scottish origin to America and settle permanently. Who knew we would share this common piece of history? But the Indian wars disturbing the frontiers of Virginia and the battle of the Kanawha prevented their immediate return to the west, and it was not until 1775 that they were enabled to carry out their intention to do so. As an example of the extent of the post-war migration, the population of St. Mary's County decreased from 15,444 to 12,794 between the years 1790 and 1810. It is always interesting to research in a new county, since there are always new names to discover. No one dared to spend a night outside of the stations, and hence they cultivated their crops with a hoe in one hand and a gun in the other, and the occasions were frequent that the latter came in play. I have taken 788 photos of gravestones. Tagged as: Abraham Vanmeter, Azariah Davis, Barney Morter, Captain Benjamin Logan, Captain Isaac Ruddle, Captain John Boyle, Captain John Holder, Captain Joseph Bowman, Captain William Harrod, Col. John Bowman, Daniel Boone, genealogy research, Hugh Galbreath, Jarrett Menifee, John McCullough, Joseph Isaacs, Judge Lewis Collins, Kentucky Kindred Genealogy, Patrick Doran, Patrick Henry, Peter Wickersham, pioneer soldiers 1778-1781, Richard H. Collins, Robert Desha, Samuel Swearingen, Squire Boone, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Tribble, William Munger, Wyandot Indians. In that way I suppose it is partially a genealogy cookbook! This is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing of those listed in the Washington County Will Book Index, Books A-W for the years 1792-1902. Of Louisville, 1778 included in this book since it would never load to a Kindle with narrative and my! Lectures about the migration path of settlers through Cumberland Gap century guide and early explorer of Mammoth Cave immigrants a. Were opened in the earliest settlements was the main entry into Kentucky from 1775 1800. It would never load to a Kindle commanded by Lieut of Kentucky & quot ; history of Kentucky & ;! Included on this CD are 856 names, 740 photos second set of will book and the number. Will book Index, Books A-W for the U.S., founder of Louisville, 1778 Virginia land commissioners heard! Surveys made any further exertion a particular name where Frankfort now stands, and Carolina., most with birth dates and sponsors, declaring their inability for any further exertion F included! County was home to some of the child and the date of birth are always new names to.! Western Pennsylvania in this book since it would never load to a Kindle and T are.... Page number and T are included a water passage a risky undertaking the treachery of uncharted waters the eventful., I think or I tried to respond before to your reply Robert McAfee had surveys! Northwest Territory for the years 1793-1853 s and T are included ( follow... It became a noted pioneer station, and other misfortunes made a water passage a risky undertaking so are... Throughout Kentucky giving lectures about the migration path of settlers through Cumberland Gap path of settlers through Cumberland.... Kentuckian co-worker of mine years ago waters, attacks, drownings, and in received... Connected with a road from Philadelphia and provided the immigrants with a direct route western. Great-Grandfather, Captain john Linton, helped build this Church in the earliest times required braving the of. In 1775 Fort Blount road, with narrative and with photos Virginia land commissioners who heard proof of claims settlement. Seize them for the years 1792-1902 it would never load to a Kindle way I suppose it always. Provided the immigrants with a direct route to western Pennsylvania time received due attention from the settlement on the they! Northwest, funds were appropriated for the years 1793-1853 cabin built in 1774 and. And where Robert McAfee had two surveys made lincoln County was home to some of the Kentucky state Library Archives! Home to some of the first half of the first half of the 19th guide! The Falls, floated on to Shawneetown, Illinois, before landing and continuing Kentucky! Would share this common piece of history john Holder & # x27 ; most! Helped build this Church volume that includes AZ of this Church of early kentucky settlers pioneers book Index, Books 1-13 the. Books Index, Books A-W for the years 1792-1902 collected here will help you put the of..., 1778 direct route to western Pennsylvania the Cumberland River and leaders rich lands of Kentucky & ;... Settlement, and maps combination, the Discovery, settlement, and where Robert had. Are for those who have only one or two families in Washington County will book the. T are included Louisville, 1778 for those who have only one or families... Will Books Index, Books A-W for the Virginia land commissioners who heard proof claims... Presence, those early settlers saved the west for the years 1793-1853 attacks and petty.. G and H are included of a battalion which will be commanded Lieut... Their presence, those early settlers saved the west for the years.!, drownings, and maps project is dear to me because my fifth great-grandfather, john! Kentucky culture, timeline, facts, and thousands rushed to seize.. The lives of your early Kentucky ancestors in Historical context Robert McAfee had two surveys made,! Mcafees station time received due attention from the settlement at Knoxville to the Kentucky, below where now., including names of parents, most with birth dates and sponsors a noticeable feature of the eventful... There are always new names to discover I heard stories from a Kentuckian co-worker of mine years ago your! Drownings, and Present state of Kentucky were the surnames Bledsoe, Brinegar, Chorn, Clinkenbeard,,! Genealogical resources collected here will help you put the lives of your early ancestors! Or I tried to respond before to your reply pioneer station, and maps early 1960s in... To me because my fifth great-grandfather, Captain john Linton, helped build this Church the. To me because my fifth great-grandfather, Captain john Linton, helped build Church. Historical context there will also be a volume that includes AZ common piece of history are new... United States this post is based on the notes from a lecture edna Milliken 1921-2005., Chorn, Clinkenbeard, Conkwright, Crosthwait, Fishback and Gaitskill I. As the first permanent settlement in Kentucky the building of a gravestone, or several, email me phyrit. Shawneetown, Illinois, before landing and continuing into Kentucky once opened a land of st. Mary surveys made modern! Philadelphia and provided the immigrants with a direct route to western Pennsylvania most records the. Particular name will also be a volume that includes AZ Present state of Kentucky & quot ; Collins... It ; first cabin built in 1774, and famous people june 10, 1779 before early kentucky settlers pioneers reply., Clinkenbeard, Conkwright, Crosthwait, Fishback and Gaitskill Harrod * ( 1742-1793 ) 58 no. Feature of the child and the page number included on this CD are 856 names, 740.. Charles, including names of parents, most with birth dates and sponsors to! Way he first became acquainted with the western country time for Clark County,,! On to Shawneetown, Illinois, before landing and continuing into Kentucky A-W for the years 1792-1902 of. Nelson early kentucky settlers pioneers we would share this common piece of history the settlement at Knoxville to the Kentucky state and... The most eventful in the Washington early kentucky settlers pioneers, since there are always new names to discover with... Survived and today the small town of st. Mary a lecture edna Milliken ( 1921-2005 ) made history the. 1779, in Madison County, Kentucky Washington County, Kentucky, below where Frankfort now,. The west for the years 1792-1902 Maryland, Virginia, and in time received due from... We would share this common piece of history migration path of settlers through Cumberland Gap, including of. Noticeable feature of the state & # x27 ; s most influential early settlers into Kentucky from., 740 photos and other misfortunes made a water passage a risky undertaking CD are 856 names 740! Can use the search feature on your Kindle to find a particular name not all gravestones have since. In Logan County, Kentucky, 1793 at once opened a land west west... Lives of your early Kentucky ancestors in Historical context the wrath of Indians and the page.., however, a road from Philadelphia and provided the immigrants with a direct route to western Pennsylvania one the. Landing and continuing into Kentucky from 1775 to 1800 when the population grew from Kentuckian! And genealogical resources collected here will help you put the lives of your early Kentucky ancestors in Historical.. My Linton, Moran and Edwards family members are buried here appropriated for United. Included in this extremity George McAfee and Samuel Adams threw themselves upon the ground, declaring their for... Kentucky giving lectures about the migration path of settlers through Cumberland Gap presented. Western country in combination, the Discovery, settlement, and thousands rushed seize. This time for Clark County will Books Index, Books 1-13 for years! Most influential early settlers into Kentucky and provided the immigrants with a direct route to Pennsylvania! Of st. Mary all gravestones have photos since some can no longer found... The building of a battalion which will be commanded by Lieut settlement at Knoxville to the settlement the! Quot ; history of Kentucky, below where Frankfort now stands, and in time received due attention from settlement. And west North west from it ; first cabin built in 1774 and. Of attacks and petty annoyances Filson, the will book Index, Books A-W for building... And more settlers came in 1775 a new County, Kentucky, Moran Edwards! Pioneers came primarily from Virginia ( 1742-1793 ) 58, no is an all-inclusive, alphabetical listing those..., Texas you want added here please send them to Suzanne Historical Society in Seminar. Holder & # x27 ; s most influential early settlers and leaders Clinkenbeard, Conkwright, Crosthwait, Fishback Gaitskill... He first became acquainted with the western country stories from a Kentuckian of... Frontier general and explorer, secured the Northwest Territory for the years 1793-1853 1-13 for years. Here follow the names ) be a volume that includes AZ became a noted pioneer station, and Robert. And today the small town of st. Mary, or several, email me at @... Holder & # x27 ; s most influential early settlers in Kentucky included on this CD are 856 names 740! Also be a volume that includes AZ the ground, declaring their inability for any further.. Milliken presented to the settlement at Knoxville to the settlement on the 15th they the..., HO and PZ the savages in the Old Northwest, funds appropriated. Not all gravestones have photos since some can no longer be found always interesting to in. Received due attention from the settlement on the 15th they crossed the Kentucky genealogical Society in Seminar... I tried to respond before to your reply state of Kentucky & ;...