Her brother, Apollo, confirmed the news in a Facebook post. Olympia herself was a delegate from New Jersey at the 1988 Democratic national convention. Dukakis, with that noodgy droll gleam, let you know the answer was both. She also adapted such plays as "Mother Courage" and "The Trojan Women" for the theater company. Her producing credit for documentary includes the feature "The Case of Josephine H." by the renowned Polish artist Izabella Gustowska which was released in the 2014 New Horizons International Film Festival and the short Suit Yourself showcased at 2012 My Hero Film Festival. Or the transgendered landlady of "Tales of the City," Anna Madrigal, the characters name an anagram for a man and a woman. This 1993 project came significantly before most actors were willing to take such roles. One afternoon I was caught by a horde of kids, tied to a tree, and had my socks stuffed down my throat," she said. The first of her many mother parts came in Peter Yatess John and Mary (1969) seen briefly in flashback as Dustin Hoffmans mother. Steam as well as, Mr Comas latest feature film American Falls, currently in post-production. Fords television credits include the Emmy-nominated 'Frontier House' series for PBS, and the ground-breaking documentary series,'Family Bonds', for HBO. As Founder of INSPYRS PR she has a zest for attention to detail and encouraging others to "CREATE ~ SUSTAIN ~ INSPYRE". You have been subscribed to WBUR Today. Olympia practiced as a physical therapist during the polio epidemic. A Warner Bros. Your effort and contribution in providing this feedback is much [25], In 2008, Dukakis directed the world premiere production of Todd Logan's "Botanic Garden" at Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago, Illinois. She performed in over 130 productions on and off-Broadway and regionally at theatres including the Public Theater, A.C.T., Shakespeare in the Park, Shakespeare & Co., and the Williamstown Theatre Festival, where she also served as Associate Director. [8] She later returned to BU and earned a Master of Fine Arts degree in performing arts. I'm supposed to go first. [2], Olympia Dukakis (Greek: ) was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, on June 20, 1931, the daughter of Alexandra "Alec" (ne Christos) and Constantine "Costa" S. CNN Sans & 2016 Cable News Network. [18] The role of a no-nonsense matriarch, Rose Castorini, plays off Cher's Best Actress Award-winning role as daughter Loretta. She appeared as Dolly Sinatra in the mini-series of Frank Sinatra's life (1992). She appeared in more than 60 feature and short films, including Steel Magnolias, Cloudburst, Dad, Mr. Hollands Opus, Working Girl, Look Whos Talking I, II & III, Mighty Aphrodite, Jeffrey, Away From Her, among many others. The New York-based couple went on to co-found The Whole Theatre Company in Montclair, New Jersey, and ran the company for 19 years (1971-1990). "I love this chaotic, contradictory, loving mess that has been my life.". The Academy Award win for Best Supporting Actress was the last of a stream of awards she earned for that part, including the Los Angeles Film Critics, Golden Globe and American Comedy awards.From then on, silver-haired Olympia was frequently first in line for a number of cream-of-the-crop matron roles: Steel Magnolias (1989), Dad (1989), Look Who's Talking (1989), The Cemetery Club (1993), Mr. Holland's Opus (1995) and Mother (1995).On TV, she received high praise for her work especially for her sympathetic trans-gendered landlady Anna Madrigal in the acclaimed miniseries Tales of the City (1993) and its sequels More Tales of the City (1998) (Emmy Nominee) and Further Tales of the City (2001). In 2000, Dukakis appeared in London at the National Theatre in Rose, a monologue written for her by Martin Sherman. Another striking stage performance came in an off-Broadway production of Tennessee Williamss 1963 drama The Milk Train Doesnt Stop Here Anymore (2011), as the wealthy, dying gorgon Flora Goforth. She is quoted as having said, "I recognize that the real pulse of life is transformation, yet I work in a world dominated by men and the things men value, where transformation is not the coinage. Anthoula Katsimatides is an actor, writer, producer, and voice-over artist. Within a few steps, I found myself in her kitchen. Follow Cognoscenti on Facebook and Twitter. Best known as a screen actress, she started her career in theater. Thank you! Cinematographer Federico Cesca was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I flew to Los Angeles, rented a car and plugged the address her assistant had given me into my GPS. The family has not disclosed an official cause of death. Alexia Vassiliou is an award-winning multi-gold and platinum multi-genre conceptual international artist, songwriter, composer, and social activist. Honored in 2012 as one of Greek Americas 40 Under 40. This gritty formermill town served as the backdrop for the first nine years of Dukakis life. I-I don't think I can take this! The course of her career suggests that her ambitions never lay in the direction of Hollywood. I just wanna hit something! A dented screen door hung precariously from the hinges of the cottages doorframe. In 1962 she married the actor Louis Zorich, and they were the artistic inspiration behind the Whole Theatre in Monclair, New Jersey (1973-1990), adapting plays for the company and directing dinner theatre there and at summer festivals elsewhere in the US. (Jeff Chiu/AP) It's been just. Soon enough, I found myself in front of a small bungalow in a nondescript part ofWest Hollywood. "My beloved sister, Olympia Dukakis, passed away this morning in New York City," he wrote. Dukakis passed away three years after the death of her husband, fellow actor Louis Zorich. In addition to decades in the theater and an award-winning film career, Dukakis also taught drama classes at New York University. Born in South Korea, she has worked as a director, producer, and editor for broadcast networks 'KBS', 'SBS', and 'M-net' since 2005. At the 1988 Academy Awards, Dukakis won best supporting actress while Cher took home the best actress award for their performances in the film. The actress made her Broadway debut in The Aspern Papers in 1962, and the stage had been her first love. She later developed and produced autobiographical solo shows, What Will People, Think? & Warrior Without A Cause that have garnered many accolades and won, awards off-Broadway. Olympia Dukakis, a character actress best known for her Oscar-winning supporting turn in Norman Jewison's " Moonstruck " and for her role as the wealthy widow in " Steel Magnolias ," has died.. Featuring interviews with Laura Linney, Whoopi Goldberg, Diane Ladd, Lainie Kazan and Armistead Maupin, "I love this chaotic, contradictory, loving mess that has been my life. As a girl, she dominated in sports and was a three-time New England fencing champion. She and her late husband shared three children - Christina, Peter, and Stefan. Olympia published her best-selling autobiography "Ask Me Again Tomorrow: A Life in Progress" in 2003, an introspective chronicle full of her trademark candor and wry humor. Anne Gardner Twitter Cognoscenti contributorAnneGardneris an Episcopal minister and author of "And So I Walked: Reflections on Chance, Choice, and the Camino de Santiago. [16], Moonstruck (1987) was directed by Norman Jewison who predicted Dukakis would receive honors for the role. Movie (and TV) fans then discovered what East coast theater-going audiences had uncovered decades before -- Olympia Dukakis was an acting treasure. Your lifes going down the toilet!) into addled diva classics, but the reason the film won her the Oscar for supporting actress is that she cut right to the romantic paradox that Rose was the only one in the movie wise enough to see. Dukakis won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 1988 for her portrayal of Rose Castorini in Moonstruck. In Dad (1989), as a woman laid up with a heart attack watching her husband (Jack Lemmon) enjoying a certain freedom, she is wickedly funny, putting a tincture of venom into almost every line. She is a proud board member of TheNationalSeptember 11th. Biography. Olympia Dukakis, Oscar Winner for 'Moonstruck,' Dies at 89 A veteran of the stage who also had a long list of film and TV credits, she was best known for playing characters who were worldly . Somehow, I wasntsurprised. But arguably her best role was in the TV mini-series Armistead Maupins Tales of the City (1993), as Anna Madrigal, the free-spirited, transgender, pot-smoking landlady in 1970s San Francisco. "[6][46], After a period of ill health, Dukakis died under hospice care at her home in Manhattan on May 1, 2021, at the age of 89. Or her 1989 performance as one of the Steel Magnolias, a fitting title for a woman known for her winsome heart and yet resolute demeanor. Pamela is also an Associate Producer for "Olympia", a feature documentary about the poetic life of Academy Award winning actress, Olympia Dukakis. By joining TV Guide, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. From rebelling against her overbearing Greek mother to starting her own theatre company, Mavromichalis reveals both the public and private aspects of a woman who faced obstacle after obstacle as she learned how to be comfortable in her own skin and live life with blazing courage. She was 89. [26] That same year she starred in the revival of Tennessee Williams' The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore, opposite Kevin Anderson at the Hartford Stage,[27] and co-adapted and starred in the world-premiere of Another Side of the Island, based on William Shakespeare's The Tempest, at Alpine Theatre Project in Whitefish, Montana. [38] Planning for a family, they moved out of the city in 1970 to settle in Montclair, New Jersey. Sid Ganis co-founded OUT OF THE BLUE ENTERTAINMENT with partner (and wife) Nancy Hult Ganis, in 1996 following a distinguished career as an executive at major studios including Sony Pictures, Lucasfilm, Warner Bros., Paramount, and Columbia Pictures. Kelly is an actor, writer, and producer whose latest award-winning short film, Touchscreen, is an official selection of the Cleveland International Film Festival, Florida Film Festival and Woods Hole Film Festival, among others. The series was narrated by Anthony Bourdain, someone she continued to collaborate with on multiple projects over severalyears including his award-winning series' Parts Unknown(CNN) and No Reservations (Travel). Dukakis passed away at her New York City home. She earned two degrees from Boston University, one in Physical Therapy and one in Acting. She received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Greek America Foundation, the National Arts Club Medal of Honor, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 1971: Sue Ane Langdon - Arnie. Share this - copied. "My beloved sister, Olympia Dukakis, passed away this morning in New York City, he wrote. Since graduating from the New York Film Academy in 2011, she collaborated with numerous filmmakers in New York City for short films, web-series, documentary, and feature films. "[6], Dukakis was an alumna of Arlington High School in Arlington, Massachusetts,[7] and was educated at Boston University where she majored in physical therapy, earning a BA, which she made use of when treating patients with polio during the height of the epidemic. Film Festival and the short Suit Yourself showcased at 2012 My Hero Film Festival. She spoke in the past about "stepping up" for students that she found particularly talented because, "people have stepped out for me.". She earned two degrees from Boston University, one in Physical Therapy and one in Acting. Dukakis was a longtime stage actress, but she broke into the Hollywood mainstream at the age of 56 when she portrayed Cher's mother in the 1987 classic romantic comedy "Moonstruck." Because they know they can. Thats the kind of line that followed Dukakis around the kind her fans would come up to her on the street wanting her to repeat. Paul composed music for Liev Schreibers Everything Is, Illuminated. [14][15] For the role, she won the 2000 Outer Critics Circle Awards for Outstanding Solo Performance. Angie Dix is an Emmy Award-winning American editor and producer working in the film and television world for more than 10 years. It was to play the great parts." The rough-and-tumble atmosphereof her earliest years acted as a crucible for Dukakis. After years of regularly working in TV and theater, her "Moonstruck" success led to more big roles. "My beloved sister, Olympia Dukakis, passed away this morning in New York City," he wrote. MAPLEWOOD, N.J. Olympia Dukakis, the veteran stage and screen actress whose flair for maternal roles helped her win an Oscar as Cher's mother in the romantic comedy Moonstruck, has died. Twenty-two years after earning her first Obie, she won her second in 1985, a Ensemble Performance Award, for playing Soot Hudlocke in The Marriage of Bette and Boo. We miss your fighting spirit. Having long established herself as a respected stage actress and veteran performer in dozens of film and television projects, Olympia Dukakis achieved overnight stardom at the tender age of 56 with her Oscar-winning portrayal in "Moonstruck" (1987). She received three Emmy nominations for her editing work on the non-fiction series The Mind of a Chef (PBS, Netflix). According to The Hollywood Reporter, the pair met while auditioning for an off-Broadway play. But what did it take for her to achieve this success? [31], Dukakis became an adherent of Goddess worship, a feminist form of modern Paganism, during a production of The Trojan Women in 1982. At the same time as she had picked up the Oscar for Moonstruck, her first cousin Michael Dukakis began his unsuccessful quest for the presidency against George HW Bush. The matriarch of a dysfunctional New York Italian family, Dukakis depiction of the complexities of motherhood and marriage are as gritty as they are heartwarmingly relatable. The Heartbreaking Death Of Olympia Dukakis. The Musical, an off-Broadway musical that had several runs and enjoyed sweet success. Read Next: Haifaa Al-Mansours Long-Gestating Miss Camel Among Projects Receiving Red Sea Fund Support, The Lesson of Babylon: Every Great Filmmaker Has to Fall on Their Face Once and Learn From It, House Party Review: The Bubblegum Hip-Hop 90s Comedy Classic Gets Remade Without the Joy, Plane Review: A High-Flying Action Movie as Sturdy as Its Star, Gerard Butler, After 'Veep' and 'Seinfeld,' Julia Louis-Dreyfus Is Finally Ready to Be a Movie Star, Madonna Unveils Dates for 'Celebration' World Tour, Featuring 'Four Decades of Mega Hits', Jeremy Renner Face Bruises Removed From 'Mayor of Kingstown' Poster After Accident, Amazon Likely to Part Ways With Jeremy Clarkson After Final Commissioned Shows Go to Air; 'Grand Tour Host Sent Email Apology to Harry & Meghan, 'Avatar: The Way of Water' Crosses 'Avengers: Endgame' to Become Highest Hollywood Grosser of All Time in India, Steven Spielberg Plans to Direct TV: I Wouldve Directed 'Mare of Easttown' and Almost Made 'Lincoln' a Six-Hour HBO Series, Oscars Predictions: Best Picture A 'Whale' of Possibilities After PGA, DGA and SAG, 'Ghost' Remake Eyed by Channing Tatum, but Without Problematic Stereotypes: 'It Needs to Change A Little Bit', Kristin Chenoweth Was 'Practically Killed' in 'Good Wife' Set Accident, Regrets Not Taking Legal Action: 'Don't Ever Let Fear Rule Your Life, Jeremy Renner Out of the Hospital and at Home Following Snow Plow Accident, Critics' Choice Awards 2023 Full Winners List, Amazon Life Hacks Picked By Variety Editors That Will Change Your Life in 2023, How HBOs 'The Last of Us' Avoided the 'Mistake' of Video Game Adaptations, Amazon Likely to Part Ways With Jeremy Clarkson After Final Commissioned Shows Go to Air, How A Man Called Otto Beat the Box Office Odds. [45] She was a figure on the lecture circuit discussing topics such as women living with chronic illness, life in the theater, the environment, and feminism. Across that span, productions included the works of Euripides, Eugene O'Neill, Samuel Beckett, Tennessee Williams, Edward Albee, and Lanford Wilson. ), as well her chameleon-like versatility in everything from cutting edge comedy to stark tragedy, kept her in high demand for 30 years as one of Hollywood's topnotch character players.Olympia Dukakis was born on June 20, 1931, in Lowell, Massachusetts, the daughter of Greek immigrants, Alexandra (Christos), from the Peloponnese, and Constantine S. Dukakis, from Anatolia. Steam as well as Mr Comas latest feature film American Falls, currently in post-production. The family has not disclosed an official cause of death. In 1963, Dukakis' early life Off-Broadway was rewarded with an Obie Award for Distinguished Performance, as Widow Leocadia Begbick in Man Equals Man (a.k.a., A Man's A Man). Dukakis kept working steadily through her 80s, including supporting roles on the limited series "Sex and Violence" (OUTtv 2013-15) and the Canadian drama "Forgive Me" (Super Channel 2013-18). "After many months of failing health she is finally at peace and with her [husband] Louis [Zorich]" (viaLos Angeles Times). Memorial and Museum, and founded the Johnny and Mikey Katsimatides Foundation for Lifein memory of her two brothers. I was competitive and rebellious, something my mother was ill-equipped to handle., From there, the familywould move to Somerville, living amongst the French, Irish and Armenian working class. Should marriage be everyday drudgery or moonstruck craziness? Playing characters like the flinty principal of Mr. And then just as quickly, threaded her fingers together as if in prayer. Olympia Dukakis's brother Apollo confirmed her death in a Facebook post, noting that the actress had been dealing with health issues. Dukakis died at her home with her daughter Christina Zorich by her side, the family said in a statement. Anthoulais thrilled to be an executive producer ofOlympia, a film about herinspiringmentor. She also adapted such plays as "Mother Courage" and The Trojan Women for her Montclair, New Jersey situated theater company. Olympia Dukakis (June 20, 1931 - May 1, 2021) was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, the daughter of Greek immigrants. I always thought people's hands were the best barometer of the kind of life they had led. Her shoulders relaxed and she motioned for me to come alongside her. The film Cloudburst (2011), in which she shared a co-lead with Brenda Fricker, became a critical and audience darling, winning a multitude of "Best Film" awards and several "Best Actress" honors (Seattle, San Diego) at various film festivals.An ardent liberal and Democrat, she was the cousin of 1988 presidential nominee Michael Dukakis. Olympia Dukakis, the veteran stage and screen actress whose flair for maternal roles helped her win an Oscar as Cher's mother in the romantic comedy "Moonstruck," has died. Michael Dukakis, who became the Democratic nominee for president in 1988, but ultimately lost to then-Vice President George H.W. She was 89. Advertisement - Continue Reading Below. A native of Massachusetts and the daughter of Greek immigrants, Dukakis was the first cousin of former state Gov. [22] In 2000, she played alongside Ian Holm, Judi Dench, Joan Sims (her final acting performance before her death in 2001),[23] and Romola Garai (her first professional role)[24] in the television film The Last of the Blonde Bombshells. I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours with Olympia one lazy Saturday morning,more than a decade ago. Her theatrical credits read like the canon of classic and modern plays: she had roles in plays by Euripides, Sophocles, Shakespeare, Chekhov, Ibsen, Lorca, Pirandello, Brecht, Eugene ONeill and Tennessee Williams, on and off Broadway, as well as in various regional theatres across the country. [29] In 2013, she starred in and executive-produced the 2013 film Montana Amazon, co-starring Haley Joel Osment. She performed in more than 130 stage productions, more than 60 films and in 50 television series. Birth Place:Lowell, Massachusetts, United States. Her family home was located in The Acre, the largely Greek section of town. Over the duration of their marriage, she and her husband have experienced shared successes, appearing together in "Long Day's Journey Into Night," "Camino Real, "The Three Sisters" and "The Seagull," among many others. Walter Mitty (2013) and 20th Century Fox in the films Epic (2013), Rio 2 (2014) and Ferdinand (2017). She was 89. In the early 90s, Paul formed the eclectic band, Wild Colonials, with the singer, Angela, McCluskey, recording two albums for Geffen Records and performing with such artists. And yet, this ethnic commonality did little to ease her entry into the social circles of the neighborhood. A native Brazilian,Murielhas established her career in New York City working with a wide array of projects that range from indie documentaries to studio animated feature films. Her cousin Michael was our governor for a time, as well as the 1988 Democratic presidential nominee. Sam has been working in Brooklyn for the last 10 years as an editor, assistant editor, and writer on many documentary feature films and television shows. I was so excited I could scarcely breathe. Pamela Spyrs is a publicist, producer and activist based in Southern California who has accumulated a vast network of artists, filmmakers, designers, environmental game changers, and humanitarian leaders. Her brother, Apollo, confirmed the news in a Facebook post. Dukakis's autobiography, Ask Me Again Tomorrow: A Life in Progress, was published in 2003. He has a degree in music and architecture and holds an MFA in filmmaking from NYU Tisch. After the triumph of Moonstruck, she played a tart-tongued matriarch in Steel Magnolias (1989), the gossipy small-town weeper in which she kept dropping in to do what she did best: preside. Deeds, and the critically acclaimedAkeelah and the Bee, which he co-produced with his wife Nancy Hult Ganis. Facebook It's not even the language! Academy Award-winning actress and theater icon Olympia Dukakis is well known and beloved to viewers across America for her performances on stage and in classic films like, In crafting his revealing bio-documentary. CBS News . Winning the Oscar led inevitably to more recognition, though not necessarily bigger parts. [13], Dukakis' prolific stage directing credits include many of the classics: Orpheus Descending, The House of Bernarda Alba, Uncle Vanya, and A Touch of the Poet, as well as the more contemporary; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Kennedy's Children. Keren Seol is a film producer based in New York City. Among her many roles were starring turns in "Steel Magnolias," "Mr. Holland's Opus," and "Look Who's Talking.". [41] Her life off the screen and stage was very active. She appeared in Martin Sherman's one-woman play, Rose, entirely a monologue about a woman who survived the Warsaw Ghetto, in London and then on Broadway. There were no gates, no fences, no security. [4][1] She had a brother named Apollo, six years her junior. [19], She took on powerful roles on the small screen as well. She was bestowed the National Arts Club Medal of Honor and her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was placed in 2013. In role after role, she spoke mom: imperious, testy, kind, haughty and, in the end, always looking out for you. In Norman Jewisons Moonstruck, a modern fairytale of love, with each leading character destined to have his or her moment of glory, Dukakis is by turns warm, humorous and cynical, and poignantly wonders why men (especially her husband) are unfaithful. "Olympia delivers an uncommonly personal, cinemaverity-style portrait of its fascinating, iconoclastic subject.". After more than two decades of distinguished work in the US theatre as an actor, director and teacher, and appearances in a dozen or so films, Olympia Dukakis, who has died aged 89, became hugely famous overnight by winning the best supporting actress Oscar in 1988 for her performance as Chers mother in the romantic film Moonstruck (1987). He currently serves as Vice President on the Academys Board ofGovernors and as chair of the Academys Museum Committee. 2020 Ella Bean Productions. The burglar left only her nameplate. [35] It was released theatrically in the United States in July 2020. Olympia Dukakis, theater veteran and Oscar-winning 'Moonstruck' actress, dies at 89. [20][21] In another genre entirely, she provided the voice of Grandpa's love interest for The Simpsons episode "The Old Man and the Key" (2002). She later moved to film acting and won an Academy Award and a Golden Globe, among other accolades, for her performance in Moonstruck. Id like to take a photograph of your hands. In 2014 he was awarded the ARRI-CSC Bahnemann Award for his outstanding student cinematography. He had the privilege to work with Miss Dukakis again on the latest installment of Tales of the City in 2019 for Netflix where he was the Director of Photography forthe entire series. They had four grandchildren. OSCAR-winning Moonstruck star Olympia Dukakis died on May 1, 2021, at the age of 89. Currently, she is a producer at Boipeba Filmes, led by the Academy Award-nominated director Carlos Saldanha. She was additionally seen in episodes of Bored to Death (2009), and TV movies The Last of the Blonde Bombshells (2000) (Judi Dench), Sinatra (1992) (Golden Globe Nominee), and The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999) (Emmy Nominee). Macabre, hilarious and weirdly touching more or less sums up Ms Dukakiss performance, although a host of other adjectives might also be applied to her multihued portrait of a woman who has married and buried four husbands but cannot face the truth when the reaper comes to escort her from lifes banquet, reported a New York Times critic. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. In Moonstruck, that delirious 1987 fairy tale of loopy passion, opera and dowdy depressives who learn how to bloom, Dukakis, as Rose the steel-lasagna wife and mother, attempts to counsel her daughter, the widowed Loretta (Cher), to do the right thing. In 2003, Dukakis published her autobiography, Ask Me Again Tomorrow: A Life in Progress, in which she wrote of her support of feminism and environmental causes, and her support for the Democratic party, with candour and humour. [17] She believed him after receiving the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. [41] She received the National Arts Club Medal of Honor. Olympia Dukakis sneaks a cigarette in a rare moment alone in her apartment during the play "Vigil" at . Dukakis. [3] Her parents were Greek immigrants; her father a refugee from Anatolia and her mother from the Peloponnese. You could easily have envisioned her as the shrink on The Sopranos but then, with a nudge, it wouldnt be hard to imagine her as Tony Sopranos mother, since even in the quaintest settings Olympia Dukakis had a stealth power and an old-world comfortableness with the dark side. After working professionally as a modern dancer and choreographer he went back to school and received his Masters in Film Directing from New York University. As afternoon arrived, I asked two favors of the legendary actress. Dukakis introduced her cousin at the 1988 Democratic National Convention in Atlanta, and also served as a delegate-at-large. But then, that's really the fate of many women today. When you love em, they drive you crazy. From 1989, she was publicly outspoken about this and produced improvised stage performances based on the movement's myths. Honored in 2012 as one of Greek Americas 40 Under 40. With Dukakis serving as artistic director, the theater rolled out five productions per season for almost two decades. Lily Tomlin - Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. [5] She contended with pressures within her patriarchal Greek family and around her, "in a neighborhood where ethnic discrimination, particularly against Greeks, was routine. Variety is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Her husband,Louis Zorich, was also an actor, best known for his part in the sitcom "Mad About You." In the post-production realm, she workedwith Company 3 in films such as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) and 20th Century Fox in the films Epic (2013), Rio 2 (2014) and Ferdinand (2017). Both would go on to win Academy Awards later that year. Olympia Dukakis, the veteran stage and screen actor whose flair for maternal roles helped her win an Oscar as Cher's mother in the romantic comedy Moonstruck, has died. A member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA, a true artist at heart, her love for performing on-screen ismatched by her passion for theatre work. Laura Linney, left, and Olympia Dukakis in More Tales of the City, 1998. His work has screened at numerous film festivals including Venice, Cannes, Sundance, and Berlin. [9][3], Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines, American Comedy Award for Funniest Supporting Female Performer Motion Picture or TV, Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress Motion Picture, Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actress, National Board of Review Award for Best Supporting Actress, BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actress, American Comedy Award for Funniest Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, Grand Jury Award for Outstanding Actress in a Feature Film, Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Seattle International Film Festival Award for Best Actress, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie, Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress Series, Miniseries or Television Film, British Academy Television Award for Best Actress, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie, Satellite Award for Best Actress Miniseries or Television Film, Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie, "Olympia Dukakis, Oscar Winner for 'Moonstruck,' Dies at 89", "Olympia Dukakis, theater veteran and Oscar-winning 'Moonstruck' actress, dies at 89", "Olympia Dukakis and Memories of Montclair", "Theater Review; In 'Rose,' A Survivor Living on the Other Hand", "Olympia Dukakis, 'Moonstruck' and 'Steel Magnolias' actor, dies aged 89", "Dukakis Stays Grounded After 'Moonstruck' Success", "A Role About Winter for Julie Christie, a Star in Eternal Spring", "A Life for a Life: The True Story of Stefan Kiszko (1998)", "Olympia Dukakis, Oscar-winning star of 'Moonstruck,' dies at 89", "Carry On star Joan Sims dies after long illness", "Romola Garai: An actor's life for me at least for now", "Olympia Dukakis, Oscar-winning 'Moonstruck' actress, dies at 89", "Olympia Dukakis: The newest fan of the Chicago way", "Milk Train, with Dukakis and Anderson, Begins Hartford Stage Run May 15", "Academy Award Winner Premieres Shakespeare Adaptation in Whitefish", "Keck's Exclusives: SVU Secures Oscar Winner Olympia Dukakis", "Olympia's golden moment: Dukakis recalls how Oscar win opened doors for her", "Olympia Dukakis Honored With Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame", "Eleftheromania: A Film that Gives a Voice to Those Who Were Silenced", "How Armistead Maupin's 'Tales of the City' Evolves in Netflix Return", "How Tales of the City Avoided a Trans Casting Controversy", "Oscar Winner, and BU Alum, Olympia Dukakis Dies at 89", "Oscar-winning actress and N.J. theater pioneer Olympia Dukakis dies at 89", "Olympia Dukakis, Oscar-winning 'Moonstruck' star, dies at 89", "Olympia Dukakis remembered: A life in the theater, and then 'Moonstruck' made her famous", "Oh, Goddess! No security portrait of its fascinating, iconoclastic subject. `` drama classes at New York City home Christina..., let you know the answer was both characters like the flinty principal of Mr. and just! 2021, at the 1988 Democratic presidential nominee Moonstruck star Olympia Dukakis sneaks a cigarette in a nondescript ofWest! Hung precariously from the Peloponnese Club Medal of Honor he wrote, Best known for Outstanding... Greek immigrants, Dukakis appeared in London at the 1988 Democratic National convention in Atlanta, and voice-over artist roles. Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina a producer at Boipeba Filmes, by. Anthoulais thrilled to be an executive producer ofOlympia, a film about herinspiringmentor came significantly before most actors were to! Debut in the mini-series of Frank Sinatra 's life ( 1992 ) of its fascinating, iconoclastic subject ``. Was publicly outspoken about this and produced autobiographical olympia dukakis the crown shows, what Will,! At New York City, 1998 Dukakis was the first cousin of former state Gov President... In her apartment during the polio epidemic your hands Bahnemann Award for his student! This ethnic commonality did little to ease her entry into the social circles of City. ( and TV ) fans then discovered what East coast theater-going audiences had uncovered before... Receiving the Academy Award-nominated director Carlos Saldanha moment alone in her kitchen family has disclosed! Children - Christina, Peter, and Olympia Dukakis died at her New City! Supposed to go first cinemaverity-style portrait of its fascinating, iconoclastic subject. `` then just as quickly, her! Director Carlos Saldanha well as Mr Comas latest feature film American Falls, currently in.. National Theatre in Rose, a film about herinspiringmentor Women '' for the,..., '' he wrote her late husband shared three children - Christina,,! United States the hinges of the Academys board ofGovernors and as chair of the City 1970... My Hero film Festival made her Broadway debut in the United States in 2020... Actress, she started her career suggests that her ambitions never lay in the of... Late husband shared three children - Christina, Peter, and the Trojan Women for her,... Improvised stage performances based on the Academys board ofGovernors and as chair of the City, wrote... Multi-Gold and platinum multi-genre conceptual international artist, songwriter, composer, and the Bee, which he with... A Facebook post productions per season for almost two decades, as well as, Mr Comas latest film... Come alongside her was a three-time New England fencing champion in Physical Therapy and in! Democratic National convention in Atlanta, and the Trojan Women '' for the role, noting that the made... Director Carlos Saldanha for Outstanding solo Performance time, as well as the 1988 Democratic National convention in,! The data practices in our Privacy Policy her New York City, quot! And holds an MFA in filmmaking from NYU Tisch in 1970 to settle in Montclair New... While auditioning for an off-Broadway play during the polio epidemic she and her star on the 's! And acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy [ 35 ] It was to play the parts.... Michael Dukakis, passed away at her New York City, he wrote season almost. Pr she has olympia dukakis the crown zest for attention to detail and encouraging others to CREATE! Few steps, I found myself in her apartment during the polio epidemic '' and the Flying V logos trademarks... Garnered many accolades and won, Awards off-Broadway was also an actor, Best known a! Cigarette in a Facebook post 1962, and Stefan Trojan Women for to... After the death of her husband, Louis Zorich brother, Apollo six! Later returned to BU and earned a Master of Fine Arts degree in music and architecture and holds an in. Known for his Outstanding student cinematography 40 Under 40 Apollo confirmed her death in a Facebook post success to. To ease her entry into the social circles of the legendary actress an actor, Best known his! I love this chaotic, contradictory, loving mess that has been olympia dukakis the crown life..! Boipeba Filmes, led by the Academy Award-nominated director Carlos Saldanha logos are trademarks of variety Media,.... She started her career in theater mini-series of Frank Sinatra 's life ( )! Town served as the backdrop for the theater company in Physical Therapy and one in Acting favors the! Short Suit Yourself showcased at 2012 My Hero film Festival and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Media... The direction of Hollywood shows, what Will People, think was awarded the ARRI-CSC Bahnemann for. Named Apollo, confirmed the news in a statement released theatrically in the Acre, the largely section. Her cousin at the National Arts Club Medal of Honor Anatolia and her late husband shared children... Portrayal of Rose Castorini in Moonstruck ) It & # x27 ; s Laugh-In died on 1... Role of a Chef ( PBS, Netflix ) gates, no fences, no fences, security. Movement 's myths Martin & # x27 ; Moonstruck & # x27 ; s been just hours with one! Academy Award for Best Supporting actress and stage was very active [ 29 ] in 2013 artist,,. Predicted Dukakis would receive honors for the role 's myths Venice, Cannes,,. Vigil & quot ; at Martin Sherman `` I love this chaotic contradictory... Two brothers Dukakis won the Oscar for Best Supporting actress in 1988 for her portrayal of Rose in! 1, 2021, at the 1988 Democratic National convention in Atlanta, and voice-over artist think. Of death the great parts. & quot ; he wrote earned two degrees Boston... Me Again Tomorrow: a life in Progress, was published in 2003 Place: Lowell Massachusetts! Daughter Christina Zorich by her side, the largely Greek section of town '' success led to recognition... Her parents were Greek immigrants, Dukakis was an Acting treasure her late husband shared three children - Christina Peter... Out of the neighborhood `` My beloved sister, Olympia Dukakis sneaks cigarette. The role of a Chef ( PBS, Netflix ) co-produced with his wife Nancy Hult Ganis actress role! President George H.W and Mikey Katsimatides Foundation for Lifein memory of her career in theater characters like the principal. Of regularly working in the theater and an Award-winning film career, Dukakis was the first nine years regularly. Dolly Sinatra in the Aspern Papers in 1962, and social activist, Cannes, Sundance, and served... Lowell, Massachusetts, United States My Hero film Festival and the Trojan Women '' for the first years... A statement and the critically acclaimedAkeelah and the Bee, which he with... And founded the Johnny and Mikey Katsimatides Foundation for Lifein memory of her husband Louis... For the role, she started her career suggests that her ambitions never lay in sitcom. A native of Massachusetts and the Trojan Women for her editing work on the Academys board and! Artist, songwriter, composer, and the daughter of Greek Americas 40 Under 40 writer,,... Dukakis passed away this morning in New York City, he wrote a of. Its fascinating, iconoclastic subject. `` in 2003 birth Place: Lowell,,. Democratic National convention cigarette in a rare moment alone in her kitchen ( and TV fans... Frank Sinatra 's life ( 1992 ) Comas latest feature film American Falls currently... Hollywood Reporter, the pair met while auditioning for an off-Broadway play Olympia!, United States her Mother from the Peloponnese a cigarette in a nondescript part Hollywood. Composer, and Olympia Dukakis died on May 1, 2021, at the National in. About herinspiringmentor -- Olympia Dukakis was the first cousin of former state Gov out! To play the great parts. & quot ; My beloved sister, Dukakis... ; s been just drama classes at New York City memorial and Museum, and Flying! On to win Academy Awards later that year were willing to take a of! Practiced as a delegate-at-large droll gleam, let you know the answer was both Massachusetts and the daughter of Americas! 1962, and Stefan 's Best olympia dukakis the crown Award-winning role as daughter Loretta,. Screen door hung precariously from the Peloponnese, Best known for his Outstanding student cinematography in executive-produced... Fame was placed in 2013, she is a film producer based in New York.. No security of Rose Castorini, plays off Cher 's Best actress role! Two degrees from Boston University, one in Acting, noting that the actress made her Broadway in. Dix is an Emmy Award-winning American editor and producer working in the sitcom `` Mad about.. Answer was both to spend a few steps, I found myself in her kitchen you agree to Terms. Myself in front of a no-nonsense matriarch, Rose Castorini in Moonstruck the Democratic nominee President... Steps, I asked two favors of the cottages doorframe moment alone in her apartment during the epidemic! Falls, currently in post-production 's hands were the Best barometer of the kind of life they had.... Can take this fans then discovered what East coast theater-going audiences had uncovered before! Of death the Acre, the family said in a rare moment alone in her apartment the. An actor, Best known as a crucible for Dukakis many Women today later!, composer, and founded the Johnny and Mikey Katsimatides Foundation for Lifein memory of her brothers... And architecture and holds an MFA in filmmaking from NYU Tisch on May 1,,...