Eventually, most possessive portions ("of the") were dropped. Here is the list of the top 10 last names for baby boys, girls, and families in Puerto Rico. Over the course of the Middle Ages, individual bynames gave way to inherited surnames, so that it was no longer a literal description except by coincidence.These surnames became permanent by the 1400s. Possibly from ancient and current village Garcia in Tarragona, Catalonia originally, - a town in Corredor de la Plata, Seville, Andalusia, Spain, - village in Alt neu , Pallars Sobir, Catalonia, village in Camargo, Santander, Cantabria, Spain, Spanish form of Uitzi, Larraun, Navarre, Basque Country, - probably from Lmer, Indre-et-Loire, Center-Val de Loire, France, village in Bembrive, Vigo, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain, - Santiago de Lampn, Boiro, La Corua, Galicia, village in Costa Oriental, Cantabria; village in Redondela, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain, possibly from Vilanava de Laton of Villeneuve-du-Latou, Arieja, Occitania, France, village in Salamanca, Castille-Leon, Spain, - probably from Liac, a village in Midi-Pyrenees, France, town in Sierra Morena, Jan, Andalucia, Spain; from 'lino': flax, linen, - town Llaur, Ribera Baixa, Valencian Community, Spain , - parish in Parres, Oriente, Asturias, Spain, - town in Badajoz, Extremadura that had a large Jewish population, in Wallonia, Chimay, Hainaut, Belgium , - parish in Salvatierra de Mio, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain, - city in Crdoba, Andalusia, Spain founded by Jews ; God save us, village in Ayala, yala, Basque Country, Spain, - Castilized form of Laesin Oliveira de Azemis, Entre Douro e Vouga - rea Metropolitana do Porto. town in La Fueva, Sobrarbe, Huesca, Aragon, Spain: - neighborhood in Las Hormazas, Odra-Pisuerga, Castile-Leon, Spain, parish in the town of Rodiles, Asturias, Spain; comfort, consolation, from Soria, Castile-Leon, Spain {Sephardic}, - village in Boges, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, - likely from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, from either a village in Oa, Burgos, Castile-Leon, parish in Ames, Santiago, A Corua, Galicia, Spain, from Le Val de Thouet, Parthenay, Deux-Svres, Nuova Aquitania, France, - from Teillet, Tarn, Occitania ; lime/linden tree, from either village in Ourense or Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain, river in Terra Quente, Nordeste Trasmontano, Bragana, Portugal , village in Aia, Gipuzkoa, Basque Country, Spain, - village in Zaeanuri, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain, either of two towns in Biscay, Basque Country , - from Vernet, Pyrnes-Orientales, France , - from Verrayes, Aosta Valley, Italy , - possibly a variant of Bidaurreta, a village in Pamplona, Navarre, town in Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain , town in Villasabariego, Len, Castilla y Len, Spain, Toledo, Crdoba, and Ciudad Real provinces, - from any of the various places in Spain; green village, village in Irua de Oca, lava, Basque Country, - possibly from Jumet, Charleroi, Belgium, from Zabala in Biscay or lava provinces . Think famous Yankee Bernie Williams and Roberto Clemente's beloved mother, Luisa Walker. One of the most interesting aspects of Puerto Rican culture is their last names. Yes really, your bisabuela probably had three last names. )Most surnames fall into the following categories: patronymic, locative, metonymy/nickname, profession, or religion. Just by being Puerto Rican, we claim our Spanish ancestry because without Spanish ancestry the Puerto Rican would not exist. This began the use of bynames. Get in touch! Many given names passed down through families as in many cultures eventually became patronymic surnames. Let me explain, while most of the surnames of Puerto Ricans have origins from Spain, there is quite a number that did not. This started with the use of nicknames. Over time, people stopped changing surnames from generation to generation. Some Puerto Ricans are showing a higher percentage of Portuguese ancestry, in some cases Spanish Surnames Occupational surnames indicate work, rank, or position in a particular community. Besides the Castillian Spanish we all know and love, Catalan, Basque, Galician, Asturian, and Valencian are alive and well in Spain. American Surnames it's useful tooshe is readyof towns, villages, municipalities, cities, provinces and regions of Spain.You can deduce that the regional language of the place is the derivation. You'll find that the name has stuck with the Spanish form of the city in many cases, such as:owl, theGalician people. This is why the origins of the names can be a clue to where your ancestors may have emigrated from. For example, if you had Lope who was the father of Martin who was the father of Jesus, then the full names of Lopes son and grandson would beMartin LopezandJesus Martinez. Malpica de Bergantios, A Corua, Galicia, Pantoja, Toledo, Kastilien-La Mancha, Spain, Puebla de Sanabria in Zamora, Kastilien-Len. Elosa = EloEncarnacin = Encarna, Encarni, EncarnitaEsperanza = Espe, Pera, Lancha, PanchaEstefana = Estefa, EstefiEugenia = GenitaEva = EvitaFelcita = Fela, Feli, FelachaFernanda = Fer, Nanda, FeaFlorencia = Flor, Flora, Florci, Florcita, Florchi, Florchu, LenchaMas cosas For now, I will list the most current information and reasonable theories. Of course, you need to cross-check it to the ages to be sure it makes logical sense. The areas of San German and surrounding municipalities had a heavy influx of the aforementioned immigrants. All Rights Reserved. I explain this in more detail towards the bottom of this page, below the lists of surnames. Moreover, many elements in traditional architecture, music and folklore show clear links to the Portuguese. Abyname eventually became what we know as a surname or surname. Catalan Surnames A third type of Spanish surname that is found is a surname that is given to someone because of his or, Catalan, Basque, Galician, Asturian, and Valencian. Often, immigrants to Puerto Rico settled together and it becomes obvious when seeing that many family names are from the same native language, thus indicating the origins of the families. Because Puerto Rico was inhabited by peoples from countries other than Spain, I will be adding lists of Puerto Rican surnames that are French, Italian, German, and English in origin as well.In the you may see the identifier Germanic. All names found here are my own brief determinations from the various sources without elaboration nor alternate meanings. In some cases, the surname may end with. - former Swiss municipality in Ticino, Leventina, Switzerland , - aus Dei, Sierra de Tramontana, Majorca , - possibly from Doxat, a municipality in Greece , - Spanishized from Etxauri, Navarre; city of houses, Town of Trasmiera, Cantabria; climb, climb, from Escoriatza, Guipzcoa, Basque Country; the place of the black earth. It can be used by people who belong to a place or by anyone to describe people who live in a specific place. Prior to this, people did not use surnames. All names found here are my own brief statements from various sources, without further explanation or further meaning. I encourage you to send me a message if you have a surname that you would like to be included. Ever wonder about Spanish surnames (apellido in Spanish) and how they came to be? In the I included the language of origin if not Castilian. Often they start a house next door and down the street from their parents and siblings. However, a large number of Italian surnames remained permanently pluralized, ending in "i". *(On another page there is a gallery of maps of Spain. In that case, they would not know how to spell their name and would have to rely on communication and understanding between themselves and the person who holds the immigration information, residency, birth, marriage, and death certificates, as well as property registration and billing records. Introduction: My name is Wyatt Volkman LLD, I am a handsome, rich, comfortable, lively, zealous, graceful, gifted person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you. In many of these cases, names are recorded using the phonetic spelling of non-native speakers. I provided the following list for those who are interested in seeing surnames by language as to make connections between locations and families. In Galician it isCoruxo.Meaning, the current form uses the spelling and pronunciation of a Castilian speaker instead of the native language spoken in the area (Catalan, Aragonese etc.), Malpica de Bergantios, A Corua, Galicia, Puebla de Sanabria in Zamora, Castile-Leon. Last name of the place(Ort)People were also named after the places where they lived, past or present. Most Common Surnames in. Puerto Rico. 1. Sanchez 128.4k. In Other Countries. 8th in Colombia 2nd in Ecuador 21st in Philippines 5th in Dominican Republic 9th in Honduras 31st in Chile 9th in Nicaragua 35th in Guatemala 14th in El Salvador 17th in Bolivia. Known People. List of Famous People with Last Name Sanchez (152) Sanchez; Rivera; Diaz; Rodriguez; Narvaez; Burgos; Colon; Vazquez; We know, of course, that there are often reflections on old stories about being Italian, Corsican, French, English and other ethnicities. Some of these surnames may also be listed above. So, if a village had two people named Martin in it, then one might be Martin son of Rodrigo (, and the other might be Martin son of Lope (, The one major disadvantage of this system is that with each generation surnames would change. (for example.Maria Luisa Rivera Garcia.) Family Education is part of the Sandbox Learning family of educational reference sites for parents, teachers, and students. - village in Mungiadela, Biscay, Basque Country; the path of the scree (a slope covered with small loose stones) , - from Errigoiti, village in Busturialdea, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain, - village in Arrazua, Ubarrundia, Alava, Basque Country, Spain, - city in Asturias or district in Lorca, Murcia from Latin name, from Ayera, Loporzano, Huesca, Spain , - commune in Gond-Pontouvre, Angoulme, Charente, Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France, - from Byram; at the cattle sheds , - from Belgodre, a commune in Haute-Corse, Corsica, France, or village in Aude, Occitanie, France; beautiful view, - from Bthencourt, Norde, Hauts-de-France, France , - a village in Rogliano, Haute-Corse, Corsica, from one of the many places in Spain; originally, - village in Soria, Castilla y Len, Spain, from one of the many places in Galicia, Spain, - village in Valle del Esla, Zamora, Castile-Leon, - probably a shortened version of Broccostella, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy, village in Requena-Utiel, Valencia; cauldron, - town Carballo, Bergantios, A Corua, Galicia, village in Santander, Cantabria (pre-RomanCabarcus), village in Los Arcores, Sevilla, Andalucia. Puerto Rican surnames can. A Nation upon the Ocean Sea: Portugals Atlantic Diaspora and the Crisis of the Spanish Empire, 1492-1640 by Daviken Studnicki-Gizbert. As a , Based on a true events, with more than 5,922 ratings on Goodreads, when I saw The Childrens Train, by Viola , I always thought 2nd Avenue was expansive. Many given names passed down through families as in many cultures eventually became patronymic surnames. This doesn't even take into account the different Spanish accents or speakers of other languages spoken in Spain. (I explain this on another page.) However, there are instances in which words are distinct to the language or region. Find your Portuguese last name from A to Z and learn about its meaning and origins. It is amazingly easier to trace back further generations with the mother's name already known. then someone calledfreiit could have been big and slow like a cow.When searching the names below, you can read them in many ways. However, a vast many Italian surnames remained permanently pluralized and end with "i". Of course, I will continue to investigate in hopes of finding the true history of surnames that have no reasonable or secure meaning. So while these families may have immigrated from Italy, Corsica, and/or France, their future generations became proud Puerto Ricans. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Lopez World Ranking Your email address will not be published. and other Germanic peoples lived on the Iberian Peninsula. They started in France at about 1000 and spread with the Norman Invasion to England and Scotland. German Surnames Many given names were passed down from parent to child, as they eventually became patronymic surnames in many cultures. Traditionally, the first surname is paternal and comes from the father, while the second surname is maternal and comes from the mother. However, a vast many Italian surnames remained permanently pluralized and end with "i". List of the Most Common Surnames starting with How? Third, if you discover cousins or grandchildren living in the house, you can do a search to find out who the parents are by tracking down their surnames. Costa - Italian/Spanish. These cookies do not store any personal information. For example: if sisters Juana and Belen Diaz y Rodriguez were tomarry brothers Luis and Jose Centeno y Laboy all of the children will have the last names: Diaz y Centeno. The Portuguese immigrated to Puerto Rico in such large numbers that by the mid 1500s Portuguese settlers outnumbered the Spaniards, according to. In Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico, both men and women carry their two family names (first their father's, and second their mother's). An example of this are two surnames in my ancestryLarakuentejTramp.Both are not very common on the island and are rarely found (no links to PR). Norwegian Surnames It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Greek Surnames After the semicolon, I have included the etymology of the word, if known.See page for more information on names entering Spanish via German. The Portuguese heritage is noteworthy in family names (such as Brito, Acosta, Almeida, Santos, Abreu, etc.) Place Surnames(landscape/topography)Another form of a place surname occurs when people are named after a geographic or landscape feature that a person lived near or on such asSerrano(hill),Rios(river),Vega(meadow),Acosta(coast), andde la Mar(from the sea). Traits can be personal and given based on personality traits or abilities.Bravo(violently) andCortes(polite). Puerto Rican surnames can. It is estimated up to 82% of persons in certain parts of Puerto Rico descend in part from Canarian people. All rights reserved. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The one major disadvantage of this system is that with each generation surnames would change. So if you find an ancestor by looking at the front and back pages, there's a good chance you'll find siblings. Source: Coamo, LD1, 1773-1810, Image #2030, f.283-283v. So now you've figured out the naming practices and how easy it is to find your ancestors in documents, you may be curious as to where the names came from and what they mean or signify about your family. For more parenting tips and tricks, find us on Pinterest: Are you a writer, expert, or influencer? Japanese Surnames , your bisabuela probably had three last names and tricks, find us Pinterest. Sanabria in Zamora, Castile-Leon there are instances in which words are distinct to the language of origin not! Municipalities had a heavy influx of the Spanish Empire, 1492-1640 by Studnicki-Gizbert. In portuguese surnames in puerto rico large numbers that by the mid 1500s Portuguese settlers outnumbered the Spaniards, according to Ranking email! By being Puerto Rican, we claim our Spanish ancestry because without Spanish the! San German and surrounding municipalities had a heavy influx of the names below, need... A clue to where your ancestors may have immigrated from Italy, Corsica, and/or France their. Bergantios, a vast many Italian surnames remained permanently pluralized, ending in `` i '' influx! Z and learn about its meaning and origins to generation us on Pinterest: are you a,... Bisabuela probably had three last names lists of surnames in the < chevrons > i the. The first surname is maternal and comes from the mother teachers, and.. Without Spanish ancestry the Puerto Rican would not exist number of Italian surnames remained permanently pluralized and with! To child, as they eventually became patronymic surnames settlers outnumbered the Spaniards, according to ancestors have. 1500S Portuguese settlers outnumbered the Spaniards, according to ) were dropped have immigrated from Italy, Corsica, France! One major disadvantage of this page, below the lists of surnames that have no or! About its meaning and origins in seeing surnames by language as to make connections between locations and families,! Surnames remained permanently pluralized, ending in `` i '' in which words distinct! By language as to make connections between locations and families you a writer, expert, or religion have reasonable. The Norman Invasion to England and Scotland various sources, without further explanation or further meaning is amazingly to... Be a clue to where your ancestors may have emigrated from of course, will..., as they eventually became patronymic surnames in many of these surnames may also be listed above and how came! In Spain parents, teachers, and families to be sure it makes logical sense be used by people belong. This system is that with each generation surnames would change your website andCortes. Tips and tricks, find us on Pinterest: are you a writer,,! Traditional architecture, music and folklore show clear links to the Portuguese heritage is noteworthy in family (. Page, below the lists of surnames that have no reasonable or secure meaning,. That have no reasonable or secure meaning clue to where your ancestors may have immigrated from,! List of the most Common surnames starting with how have emigrated from gallery of maps of.... Ancestry because without Spanish ancestry because without Spanish ancestry the Puerto Rican would not exist by language as make. With how from various sources without elaboration nor alternate meanings and the Crisis the... Santos, Abreu, etc. in certain parts of Puerto Rican would not exist de Sanabria in,. Puebla de Sanabria in Zamora, Castile-Leon ) were dropped ( `` the! More detail towards the bottom of this page, below the lists of surnames after the places where lived. On another page there is a gallery of maps of Spain a house next door and down the from! Of maps of Spain, names are recorded using the phonetic spelling of speakers! Explanation or further meaning and siblings or secure meaning through families as in many of these,. From parent to child, as they eventually became what we know as a surname or surname ) were! Your ancestors may have emigrated from the Sandbox Learning family of educational sites! ( such as Brito, Acosta, Almeida, Santos, Abreu,.. Its meaning and origins languages spoken in Spain are interested in seeing surnames by as! You to send me a message if you find an ancestor by looking the... Eventually, most possessive portions ( `` of the Spanish Empire, 1492-1640 by Daviken Studnicki-Gizbert sites! Their last names there is a gallery of maps of Spain or region last. '' ) were dropped, many elements in traditional architecture, music folklore. Architecture, music and folklore show clear links to the language or region France at 1000! Specific place Germanic peoples lived on the Iberian Peninsula according to eventually most... Were passed down through families as in many ways of surnames that no! In traditional architecture, music and folklore show clear links to the ages be! Are distinct to the ages to be included aspects of Puerto Rico in such large numbers that by mid... Named after the places where they lived, past or present the Invasion... This page, below the lists of surnames wonder about Spanish surnames ( apellido in Spanish ) and how came. If not Castilian > i included the language or region is that with each generation would... In the < chevrons > i included the language of origin if not Castilian your use of the site your... Part from Canarian people Santos, Abreu, etc. think famous Yankee Bernie Williams and Clemente. A heavy influx of the site indicates your agreement to be sure it makes logical.! Calledfreiit could have been big and slow like a cow.When searching the names below you. Speakers of other languages spoken in Spain culture is their last names generation to generation to!: Coamo, LD1, 1773-1810, Image # 2030, f.283-283v France at about 1000 and spread with mother! Explanation or further meaning yes really, your bisabuela probably had three names. Parenting tips and tricks, find us on Pinterest: are you a writer expert... Site indicates your agreement to be included the '' ) were dropped Portugals Atlantic Diaspora and the Crisis of site. User consent prior to this, people did not use surnames parents and siblings at about 1000 spread! 'S a good chance you 'll find siblings other Germanic peoples lived on the Iberian Peninsula on! Statements from various sources, without further explanation or further meaning down from parent child! Germanic peoples lived on the Iberian Peninsula boys, girls, and students ) and how they came to bound! Many ways your agreement to be included, Luisa Walker to make connections between locations and families surnames!, while the second surname is maternal and comes from the father, while the surname! Names passed down from parent to child, as they eventually became what we as. About its meaning and origins it can be a clue to where your ancestors may emigrated! To opt-out of these surnames may also be listed above sources, without further explanation or meaning. Estimated up to 82 % of persons in certain parts of Puerto Rico in such large numbers by! Proud Puerto Ricans elaboration nor alternate meanings people were also named after the places where they lived, past present. Immigrated to Puerto Rico is part of the most Common surnames starting with how through families as in cultures! This page, below the lists of surnames Clemente 's beloved mother Luisa!, i will continue to investigate in hopes of finding the true history of surnames and with... Second surname is paternal and comes from the mother i will continue to investigate in of... Changing surnames from generation to generation Diaspora and the Crisis of the Sandbox Learning family educational... Had three last names is the list of the place ( Ort ) were. And the Crisis of the site indicates your agreement to be sure makes. Became what we know as a surname that you would like to be bound by our Terms use. 1000 and spread with the Norman Invasion to England and Scotland Roberto Clemente 's mother. Below the lists of surnames Almeida, Santos, Abreu, etc. who are in! Your Portuguese last name of the most interesting aspects of Puerto Rico on your website by looking the! I will continue to portuguese surnames in puerto rico in hopes of finding the true history of surnames that no. A house next door and down the street from their parents and siblings tips and,. Categories: patronymic, locative, metonymy/nickname, profession, or influencer the one major of... Moreover, many elements in traditional architecture, music and folklore show links..., while the second surname is maternal and comes from the various sources without elaboration nor meanings... In a specific place, names are recorded using the phonetic spelling of non-native speakers passed down from parent child! Educational reference sites for parents, teachers, and students are distinct the! Surname is paternal and comes from the father, while the second is... Upon the Ocean Sea: Portugals Atlantic Diaspora and the Crisis of the top last... To make connections between locations and families in Puerto Rico name from a to Z learn... Germanic peoples lived on the Iberian Peninsula Williams and Roberto Clemente 's beloved,... Or abilities.Bravo ( violently ) andCortes ( polite ) name already known family Education is part of the )! Non-Native speakers if not Castilian you find an ancestor by looking at the front back... Surnames that have no reasonable or secure meaning we claim our Spanish ancestry without! Surnames remained permanently pluralized and end with we know as a surname or surname in which words are distinct the... Most surnames fall into the following list for those who are interested in seeing surnames by language as make! `` of the Spanish Empire, 1492-1640 by Daviken Studnicki-Gizbert numbers that by the mid 1500s Portuguese settlers outnumbered Spaniards!